curing pit question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ubekewl454

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
I am going to cure my pit in the next week or so when I get some time off from work. This will be the initial smoke. I have some light surface rust inside the main chamber and was wondering should I wire brush it out before I oil it up and fire up the pit? I just cleaned up my backyard pit last week and seasoned it again and I wire brushed it and sprayed it out with water but my new trailer pit is has a pretty big chamber and if I don't need to I won't do like I did my backyard pit.

Personally I think I'd wire brush it down and know that once done I shouldn't ever have to do it again. Then season it well and you should be good to go for many years

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky