Curing drafts with Silicone...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buddha65281

Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
hello everyone,

As some of you know I am new to smoking and grilling.. almost 50 and have not really enjoyed myself with this wonderful, addictive and costly "hobby".

I have a suggestion for when you build a smoker to help with the draft problems... Everyone is suggesting to use the high temp 300 degree RED Permatex silicone for sealing up all your holes etc..

Well, I have something that I purchased during my wood burner install in the garage and I thought of it last night.

Here it is, Hi-Temp Silicon Sealant from Meeco's Red Devil, Temperature Range -75 degrees F to 500 degrees F.  AND IT IS BLACK!!! 
(500 degrees  not 300 like the Permatex)

Hope this helps some people, I am going to use it on my smoker to seal the lid and the sides...

Happy smoking! Hope this helps!

Buddha65281

Reactions: spoon
This is good to know! I just ordered some Rutland Stove Gasket Cement (Black) to secure some gasket rope around the lid of my smoker but was looking for some silicon for all the other areas that may leak a little. The Black color seems like it would be a better aesthetic, which makes a difference since my smoker is brand new (I want it to look well used as time goes on but not like it is glued together).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky