Curing Chamber Build (w/ Cure View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have finally decided to make the leap into fermented dry-cured sausages. I have been wanting to do this for a while but the timing finally worked out just right.I am planning on using a Whirlpool fridge that doesn't quite hold perfect temp in the summer and winter. It looks like this:

628c7519_0523111819b.jpg

I will remove the separator between the freezer and fridge so I have more room to hang suasage and ham.

b9fc6c31_GKFHXL6T.gif

Temperature control will be controlled by this freezer temp controller.

c0e8a1cf_21m4rDi75PL__SS400_.jpg

For humidity controls I bought this which has separate outlets for a humidifier and dehumidifier. I ordered a fogger that will be plugged into the humidifier outlet and have an AC AV cabinet low RPM fan that will be mounted to the side of the fridge for the dehumidifier.

43010cb7_41MZYatoTFL__SS500_.jpg

The fogger I bought has a float. I plan on putting it in a large tub of water so I don't have to refill it all that often.

ca647c1f_3175n0e5oxL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

And to keep track of my temp and humidity I bought this remote probe weather station.

94c91752_71HfAu0ODoS._AA1500_.jpg

Parts should start arriving late this week. I need to add a 20a circuit to my panel and wire up the corner of my garage for all of this. Should be fun.

Last edited:
Yeah keep us posted on your build. Dry cure sausage is fun.

This is the controller i'm using

6adae8d4_jc.jpg

Yeah keep us posted on your build. Dry cure sausage is fun.

This is the controller i'm using

6adae8d4_jc.jpg
I looked at that one after our conversation in chat the other night nepas. I decided to save $20 with the one I got. The homebrew guys had lots of good things to say about it so hopefully I won't be spending that money twice. :o)

Glad you started your build,  can't wait to see the first salamies hanging in it.

I got a lot to learn about fermented sausages so go step by step please!

That looks impressive. I picked up a small humidifier yesterday and have been thinking of doing what you are doing just have been following my # one rule though.

Never do anything today you can put off until tomorrow.

Karl

Here is the humidity control, humidifier and probed hygrometer i use. Had them in the front to give my wifes spider plant some humidity. Now to the fridge.

a61eaf8c_DSC01099.jpg

Last edited:
Started to make some progress on this project.

My box o' parts.

9588d9c2_0619111333b.jpg

And the fridge ripped apart. The separator is gone but the cross piece will be put back on so the doors can still seal. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the controls. I am tempted to mount them in a small tupperware like container and then attach that to the back or side of the fridge.

00a5bc3f_0619111334.jpg

I finally got a chance to get back to my dry curing chamber project today. I started off by using a hole saw to put a hole in this PVC junction box to match the hole I had already drilled in the lower part of the fridge.

8e1be9b3_1008111332.jpg

The next hole for the low volume AC powered fan I had was not so easy. I wasn't going to buy a 4" hole saw for it so I made do with a plastic cut off wheel on my Dremel. It is ugly but it works. The purpose of the fan is to draw humidity out of the chamber.

7537e4a6_1008111332a.jpg

I then worked on fitting the fan to the junction box cover.

8c0741bd_1008111332b.jpg

After drilling my holes for the fan I cut out a piece of screen to keep bugs out.

470c06e8_1008111410.jpg

I then put the bolts through the hole in the junction box cover and screen. I added a couple washers between the fan and screen to keep the screen away from the fan blades and bolted it all together.

c03fc252_1008111414.jpg

It's ugly, but it works.

148d1df4_1008111416.jpg

Then I wired up the fan.

25983b3a_1008111437.jpg

From there I installed the junction box onto the fridge. A tip that will make it easier for you to line up the hole, use the hole saw bit with a bit protruding to hang the junction box off of. That allowed me to get it damn near perfect.

a7b48074_1008111438.jpg

The ugliness of that hole is bugging the ever living shit out of me but it works. The dehumidifier fan installed.

7dfa8695_1008111441.jpg

Next I installed the humidity controller and hooked up the fan to it.

e96ee768_1008111530a.jpg

I installed the temp controller next. The fridge plugs into the temp controller and when the fridge hits the ideal temp the controller kills power to it.

8180c264_1008111541.jpg

I hung the probe in the middle of what used to be the freezer. My thought is that heat rises so the best place to put the probe is up top.

501c1fe4_1008111606a.jpg

For independent verification of humidity and temp levels I went with this Honeywell wireless unit. It supports up to 3 different probes should I decide to expand my collection of dry curing chambers.

f6ae55e5_1008111606b.jpg

5cbf86be_1008111606c.jpg

Time to test it out. Temp is set.

c854dc33_1008111606d.jpg

The humidify light is on!

0e2748bc_1008111612.jpg

And the fogger is producing humidity.

9932f10e_1008111606.jpg

An hour later we have perfection.

94192a3f_1008111719.jpg

Tomorrow I have to figure out how to clean up all the wiring, mount the fridge controls, get the hanging sticks installed, and put some screen on the top hole in the fridge. I will be placing an order with Butcher Packer tonight for starter culture and mold.

Last edited:
Oh yeah!
Order Confirmation from Butcher and Packer

Joel

Thanks for shopping with us today!
The following are the details of your order.
------------------------------
------------------------
Order Number: 46316
Date Ordered: Saturday 08 October, 2011
Detailed Invoice:

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Mold - 600 Bactoferm[emoji]8482[/emoji] Sausage Mould( Formerly M-EK-4 ) (FDSCP-1)  =
$15.00
1 x Meat Starter Culture Bactoferm[emoji]8482[/emoji] F-RM-52 (FDSCP-2)  = $15.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $30.00
Table Rate (Best Way): $9.75
Total: $39.75
And
Date : 8 Oct 2011 - 17:45
Order ID : 8879231

Payment by Card

Product : Quantity : Price
PaprikaSmkdSpnHot-1lb : 1 : 14.10
NutmegWhole-10 : 1 : 3.75
LemonGrass-8oz : 1 : 7.60

Subtotal : 25.45
Shipping : 10.95
TOTAL    : 36.40
The smoked hot spanish paprika will be for dry cured chorizo and the lemon grass will find its way into my Thai sausage.

My first attempt at dry cured sausage will be spanish chorizo, saucisson sec, peperone, and salume.

Boy that's one ugly hole ya cut there! 
ROTF.gif

Sorry but had to say it cause somehow I knew it bugged ya

Joel when ya get a chance could ya post your suppliers for the electronics. .

Good to see your finding the time to get it going Joel. You sure have taken this sausagemakin and run with it my friend,sure puts a smile upon my face. Hey when u ain't useing that fogger sure would be cool at Halloween parties HUH.
icon_smile.gif

Boy that's one ugly hole ya cut there! 
ROTF.gif

Sorry but had to say it cause somehow I knew it bugged ya

Joel when ya get a chance could ya post your suppliers for the electronics. .

It looked better before I tried to make it look prettier. Then it just got butt ugly.
biggrin.gif

The fridge was a Craigslist freebie. I knew it couldn't hold temp when I got it. However, it will hit 50* all day long in my garage in the NC summer so it was fine for this. Removing the separator plate between the fridge and freezer made sure of it.

The humidity controller is the HUM-1 unit and I purchased that on Amazon.
The temp controller I also picked up at Amazon.
The pond fogger also came from Amazon.
The remote thermometer/hygrometer I also picked up off of Amazon.
The AC powered low flow fan was a freebie from a friend. It came out of an old AV cabinet they had. I am sure a variable speed PC fan would work as well with a power converter.

The junction box came from Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/pd_10030-223-E...urrentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=carlon+box&facetInfo=

The water reservoir was a plastic tub I had laying around.

The screen came from a local hardware store.

Misc bolts and fasteners came from Tractor Supply.

Let me know if you have any other questions Dan.

Last edited:
Good to see your finding the time to get it going Joel. You sure have taken this sausagemakin and run with it my friend,sure puts a smile upon my face. Hey when u ain't useing that fogger sure would be cool at Halloween parties HUH.
icon_smile.gif

I was thinking I might stop taking showers and start taking baths with it. 120VAC from a 15A circuit in the tub with ya can't be that bad can it?

Last edited:
Thats nice !!! I hope to have mine done in the near future..The only thing I have so far is the Freezer...Thanks for the parts list and where to buy them...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky