Curing Brine for Long Term Aging.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
in my humble opinion, kosher salt, rock salt, table salt are pretty much the same....only difference is granularity of the salts... they all have diferent granularity, so one cup of table salt, kosher salt and rock salt have different weight measurement in one cup....whatever choice of salt you go with measure it by the weight not by the volume...
BTW....One of the most important thing before you even start process of salting is to squeeze out blood remains in vein that runs along pork butt.. do this by pressing with tumb along the blod vein... you will be surprised how much blood comes out....
Some table salts have iodine added. Not good when you cure with it.

Reactions: dernektambura
Kosher salt, originally designed to be used in koshering meats (to draw out blood), is preferred by chefs and home cooks. Kosher salt is free of additives and is machine-produced to have coarse flat flakes, larger than table salt. It's typically not used for baking because it doesn't dissolve as easily in batters (use table salt for baking). Typically twice as much Kosher salt can be substituted for table salt.

Pickling Salt

This is an ideal option, if you need the substitute for pickling and canning. For every teaspoon of kosher salt, you can use 1¼ to 1½ teaspoons of pickling salt. It can also be used for koshering meat. Otherwise coarse sea salt is ideal. For fermented pickles, you need to replace kosher salt by weight. For 220 grams of kosher salt, use a cup of pickling salt.

That changes everything: if you got it from a video off youtube titled "the best..." It must be reliable information.

I am not trying to feel important. I just corrected some misinformation you posted. If i am wrong feel free to prove it.

P.s. even if you dry cure with rock salt. Leave it too long and the meat/fish will be inedible.
atomicsmoke atomicsmoke

So the ONLY expert is you.

I see, Excuse me... I fell out of my chair laughing.

Ah well, onward through the fog.
You haven't cared for my a$$ since I got here. I get it.
But you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a $hit.
You go right ahead thinking you know it all.
I'll just move along.

atomicsmoke atomicsmoke

So the ONLY expert is you.

I see, Excuse me... I fell out of my chair laughing.

Ah well, onward through the fog.
You haven't cared for my a$$ since I got here. I get it.
But you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a $hit.
You go right ahead thinking you know it all.
I'll just move along.
I would say atomicsmoke was giving out his point of view and was talking out of his own experience...hardly I found him posting to make himself important...aren't we all here to communicate and share?....

I am sure it is but, I found yours and AtomicSmoke pointers and advice to be very helpful...so that being said, its funny that two experienced guys gets in this kind of arguments...

All better now Dernek. The ignore feature works great on this web site. :emoji_wink:
I can ignore or choose not to ignore, certain irritations.
Onward through the fog! :emoji_sunglasses:

Just picked up a 50 lb bag of Mortons Purex TFC Table Salt and some Prague #1, which are both available locally. Instacure #2 is in the mail.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky