Curing brine 1st and then seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
I was wondering if it would be plausible to perhaps 1st do your few pounds of jerky strips in a Pops type cure brine for a day or 2 and then rinse the strips in a colander to put them in a seasoning or marinade for another day before smoking ?
I was thinking that might work by taking care of the cure part and then introducing the flavor for a day or so.

I am missing something I guess..... Why not add your flavor modifiers in with the cure? I nearly always do that, basic cure plus herbs spices fruits and maybe an extract. I add them while heating the brine to help disolve the sugar and salt. Save any extracts to add with the actual brine with the cure when its cooled.

Is that what you are talking about?

EDIT:: make sure and check, some mixes will already include some cure.

I am missing something I guess..... Why not add your flavor modifiers in with the cure? I nearly always do that, basic cure plus herbs spices fruits and maybe an extract. I add them while heating the brine to help disolve the sugar and salt. Save any extracts to add with the actual brine with the cure when its cooled.

Is that what you are talking about?

EDIT:: make sure and check, some mixes will already include some cure.

I use pink salt in my dry curing brine and wet brines for making jerky. 1-2 days for the 1/4" thick jerky strips.

I was just wondering if anyone ever cures the meat in brine with water , sugar and salt first. Just like you would do a pork belly cure before smoking.. But then add hour now cured meat strips into a marinade for the soy and Worcestershire and garlic part.

I know it sounds unconventional :D. This would not include a kit curing and seasoning of course.
So your meat goes in pops brine. Comes out and gets rinsed off and then goes into your teriyaki jerky mix.. minus cure#1.

I was wondering if it would undo the curing you just did or would you have a good , more flavorful cured base of meat to now enhance further with flavorings. ?

What's the benefit?
Why not Cure & Brine in one trip?

Bear

I don't know. I'm just thinking the meat in a brine of like one half gallon would give it a very good complete coverage of very equal quantities of the curing salt.
As opposed to a cup of liquids you have to keep squishing around in a baggy. When you dump out your jerky , you see all this folded up pieces of meat that look like the folding creates places that didn't get cured as good as the unfolded pieces.
In triple or more of the curing liquids you would not have a problem with folded meat and it would be easily covered without a doubt.
And for dry spices to make your jerky , you won't have to worry about how well the cure salt has been applied. The curing has already been done prior.
This all would take an extra day , max.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky