Cured/ brined turkey on the Smokin' It#3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dert

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
MPLS MN
12#er
Bought on sale last year and froze:

Following Pop's brine recipe:

Pickling a Turkey with Pops Curing recipe.

Made up agallon of brine:

1 cup sugar
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. of DQ Cure #1 (same as Instacure #1 or Prague Powder #1)
1 gal. water

Filled up the injector with the brine and hit the breast, thighs, and legs:

Didn't heat the brine, the photo may be misleading...just using available space in my kitchen. I injected and brined with COLD solution, and the bird was just barely thawed... the interior still had ice, but thawed enough to pull the neck and giblets out.

Put the rest into a bowl to brine overnight:

More to come tomorrow...

Last edited:
Here's the update:

Into the smoker at 250...8 minutes ago:

Loaded the tray with apple chips from the Depot...using the chip insert.

Looks great!

Just to make sure it doesn't confuse newbies looking at your recipe. Please tell us that the brine you used was cold when you injected it, and placed the Turkey into it. The photo of the pot sitting on the stove with the spoon in it could be misleading.

I thought about that photo as well... it was injected cold, didn't even heat the brine/ injection. Just precious little countertop space in my kitchen! I updated the initial post to reflect that...

Last edited:
I thought about that photo as well... it was injected cold, didn't even heat the brine/ injection. Just precious little countertop space in my kitchen! I updated the initial post to reflect that...
icon14.gif
  I understand the precious little counter top space!

Two hours in...

Just shy of 140...

Last edited:
I love the Qview on your posts! I am waiting for shots of the finished product with anticipation!

Disco

OK, here's the finished product. Probably the best smoked turkey I ever made (and I have done probably 5-8/ year for the last 10 years on various smokers:

Plated:

Leftovers...

Last edited:
You can see the jarred gravy in the background, this is the drawback from smoking one.

Excellent flavor, not too salty and super moist.

Looks fantastic! We use the neck and other innards to make gravy, that way you get the best of both worlds!!!

Others have mentioned that Pop's brine imparts a hammy flavor to the bird. Is that true?

Slightly hammy, and good... I suggest everyone try this. Cheap and quick investment.

Slightly hammy, and good... I suggest everyone try this. Cheap and quick investment.
Gonna be doing about 4 turkeys Canadian Thanksgiving on my RF. Got a whole bunch to feed.

Going to do them all different methods, but definitely going to use this one!!

That bird is giving me hunger pains, and I am drooling all over my keyboard!!!

It's a beautiful Thang!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky