Cure --> Smoke --> Sous Vide Corned Beef Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
Hello all!

I have a couple of brisket flats (about 5 lbs each) curing in the usual solution (apple juice, water, pickling spices, brown sugar, etc.) in my large food-safe bucket. It's in the fridge and I'll stir it up every day until the 16th. At that point it'll be uncooked corned beef :)

I was thinking of doing pastrami for one, but with the other, keep as corned beef and perhaps smoke it for a while, then SV - that's where I need the help.

How long to smoke (thinking 3-4 hours @ 225) and then SV? I've very new to the SV method, so have no idea what temp/time for that part :emoji_anguished:.

Thanks as always!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Smoke to an IT of 150, then SV @155 for 24 hours. Perfect pastrami every time! Usually takes about 5-6 hours to reach 150. The last time I made it I used the extreme smoke setting on my Rectec for 6 hours & the IT was 147. Close enough!
Al

Wow - ok! And another silly question - I am comfortable smoking and monitoring IT, but if the SV is @ 155 for 24-48 hours, how does the IT 203-205 tissue breakdown occur?

Reactions: JLeonard
The length of time @155 makes it tender .
I did a small flat awhile back . Talked to Al and followed his advice exactly as above .
It was fantastic .
I know from good and bad experiences with brisket that the word schedule probably isn't very useful, but....does this sound reasonable?

* Cured for 8 days - pulled on 3/15 early AM
* On smoker @ 250 for 6-9 hours?? 'til IT of 150
* Into SV @ 155 until St. Paddy's dinner time on 3/17

I usually cure 14 days as a rule . Just went back and checked my thread on this , and I went 10 days because it was only 3 lbs. I SV'd at 154 for 24 hours . I used a dry cure method .

I would think you'll be OK with your plan .

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I know the plan was to go to 150 IT then move to SV, but any negatives if IT is higher before I make the move?

I say no .
I was hoping not :) I put it on the smoker a couple of hours ago and IT is already at 100 - hoping to not have to drive home as I suspect it'll get to 150 by lunch.

I am keeping the smoker temp low (~185) to keep it as slow as possible, but is there a max IT you think I should avoid before it goes into the SV?

I think the one I did was around 160 . 185 should keep it 170 or so , if the smoker is 185 .
I would say see what it is when you get back to it and go from there .

I think the one I did was around 160 . 185 should keep it 170 or so , if the smoker is 185 .
I would say see what it is when you get back to it and go from there .
Thanks -- when you want it to go faster it goes slower and vice versa :) I guess Murphy at work as usual. I appreciate the quick help!

Reactions: chopsaw
You know how it is ,,, you start out worrying it's gonna be done to soon , next thing you know the family is asking where's supper ? Lol .
I see SmokinAl SmokinAl is on . Maybe he has some input .

• Haha
Reactions: crazymoon
I think if you have it at 185, then it will start to slow down in the next hour or so. I have never taken one past 150, so am interested to see if the process still works at a higher IT when in the smoker. Can you control your smoker from work? If so when the IT gets to 150, just shut it off until it drops to 140, then turn it back on.
Good luck!
Al

Reactions: crazymoon
I think if you have it at 185, then it will start to slow down in the next hour or so. I have never taken one past 150, so am interested to see if the process still works at a higher IT when in the smoker. Can you control your smoker from work? If so when the IT gets to 150, just shut it off until it drops to 140, then turn it back on.
Good luck!
Al
Thanks - I do have the smoker set to 180 (read by my Inkbird) - I can adjust temp and shut it down remotely, but of course, can't restart it that way for safety reasons. I'll keep an eye on it for the morning and see where it goes. Worst case scenario is that I do a double-commute today to get it out and put it in to start the SV process.

The pic is the two flats after they were taken out of the brine, rinsed and somewhat patted dry.

I'll keep the post updated and again - the help is appreciated!
1678886913274.png

Update - briskets hit 150 after about 9 hours, and into SV @ 155 at 5 PM today, so perfect timing for Friday's dinner - hopefully it tastes as good as it looks :)

1678915404991.png 1678915418312.png 1678915436512.png

WOW ! That does look good .

I have the same or similar Container . I bought this rack at Lowes . It's a sheet pan holder .
Works great for holding things under the water .
20191006_120643.jpg
20191006_120616.jpg

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky