Cure question

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by magnum3672, Sep 20, 2011.

1. I don't have easy access to Cure#1 in my area (i looked everywhere) and I don't want to use tenderquick because I am using Pops brine recipe.  Now what I did come across is Lem brand Cure which seems to be pretty close (maybe more salt) and I'm wondering if I use that instead if that would be okay.

2. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I just made mine using TQ and it came out great !!!!!

3. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

4. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Read the ingredient list on the cure.  Cure 1 is 6.25% nitrite and about 93.75% salt,  there is some red food coloring added to make the cure pink.  If you are using a cure mix follow the directions on the mix.  We do not suggest making substitutions.  You can order Cure 1 from any number of sausage supply places on the internet. 

5. Says its Salt, Sodium Nitrate (6.25%), red food coloring and less than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as a processing aide.

Looks like pretty much the same thing but I don't know what silico aluminate is

6. alblancher

Prevents caking.  Sounds like Cure 1 to me.  Good luck

7. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yup, sounds like Cure #1

Does the package look like this:

[​IMG]

8. Yes sir... I picked up 2 for good measure.  So that when I cure a whole pig I'm ready! haha

9. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I can buy a pound for almost the price of this 4 oz. package....Go Figure!

Todd

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. I pay $2.99 for a pound of cure #1 in pittsburgh.

11. Everywhere online it was like 4 bucks for a lb of cure, but like 10 dollars shipping. It cost me 50 cents in gas to get the cure in a store so I think I came out ahead

12. alblancher

yea, paying all that money to ship what is basically salt is kind of aggravating.   I try to order a years supply of whatever I will be needing to make shipping as affordable as possible.  I can't start my truck for 50 cents [​IMG]  so you did good.

13. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

yes, that's the right stuff, depends on how much you use, a 1 lb bag will last me a year or more, you don't need much!  

ordering on the net there is a tradeoff - money for convenience.  I order must everything from Butcher Packer and trust their product.  I've paid more than my share in shipping, but I trust and value their products so to me it's worthwhile and I don't have to move further than my wallet to order anything.  Seeings how I'm usually up at 3;30 am for work, that's a good thing!

14. Roller, would you mind telling me how much Morton Tender Quick you use per pound of pork Bellie. I have a 10.5 pound pork bellie that I want to do a wet brine on, I will be using approx 3 gal. of water.

I have the pork bellie cut into 4 pieces so it will fit in my brine container. The 3 gal of water is what it took to cover the bellie.

I do not have cure #1 as of yet, but plan to buy some from Butcher Packer soon.