Cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

magnum3672

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Southeast Michigan
I don't have easy access to Cure#1 in my area (i looked everywhere) and I don't want to use tenderquick because I am using Pops brine recipe.  Now what I did come across is Lem brand Cure which seems to be pretty close (maybe more salt) and I'm wondering if I use that instead if that would be okay.

Read the ingredient list on the cure.  Cure 1 is 6.25% nitrite and about 93.75% salt,  there is some red food coloring added to make the cure pink.  If you are using a cure mix follow the directions on the mix.  We do not suggest making substitutions.  You can order Cure 1 from any number of sausage supply places on the internet. 

Says its Salt, Sodium Nitrate (6.25%), red food coloring and less than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as a processing aide.

Looks like pretty much the same thing but I don't know what silico aluminate is

Yup, sounds like Cure #1

Does the package look like this:

f0c29167_DSCF3368.jpg

I can buy a pound for almost the price of this 4 oz. package....Go Figure!

Todd

Last edited:
Everywhere online it was like 4 bucks for a lb of cure, but like 10 dollars shipping. It cost me 50 cents in gas to get the cure in a store so I think I came out ahead

yea, paying all that money to ship what is basically salt is kind of aggravating.   I try to order a years supply of whatever I will be needing to make shipping as affordable as possible.  I can't start my truck for 50 cents
icon_cry.gif
 so you did good.

yes, that's the right stuff, depends on how much you use, a 1 lb bag will last me a year or more, you don't need much!  

ordering on the net there is a tradeoff - money for convenience.  I order must everything from Butcher Packer and trust their product.  I've paid more than my share in shipping, but I trust and value their products so to me it's worthwhile and I don't have to move further than my wallet to order anything.  Seeings how I'm usually up at 3;30 am for work, that's a good thing!
Yes sir... I picked up 2 for good measure.  So that when I cure a whole pig I'm ready! haha

Roller, would you mind telling me how much Morton Tender Quick you use per pound of pork Bellie. I have a 10.5 pound pork bellie that I want to do a wet brine on, I will be using approx 3 gal. of water.

I have the pork bellie cut into 4 pieces so it will fit in my brine container. The 3 gal of water is what it took to cover the bellie.

I do not have cure #1 as of yet, but plan to buy some from Butcher Packer soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky