Cure in smoke sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lisi

Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
We made some 80 % beef and 20% pork snack sticks yesterday. We forgot to add the cure package. Just added seasoning....carrot fiber binder...Jalapeños... cheese. We ground...mixed... and stuffed yesterday....then put in fridge overnight. This morning we are cooking them in the oven....started with 1 hour drying time...no heat just oven door propped open. Then set the oven to 170 degrees with door propped open for one hour. Then closed the oven door and continued oven at 170 degrees until snack sticks reached internal temp of 157 degrees. Will these be safe to eat if we didn't add cure?

Use a timer. Start the timer when you put the stix in the oven. You want the internal temp of the stix to be above 140*F within 4 hours....just to be safe since you forgot to add the cure. The stix are thin and should heat quickly. What size casing did you use?

And next time-use the cure.......

Use a timer. Start the timer when you put the stix in the oven. You want the internal temp of the stix to be above 140*F within 4 hours....just to be safe since you forgot to add the cure. The stix are thin and should heat quickly. What size casing did you use?

And next time-use the cure.......
Size of sticks is 19mm. They have been in the oven for about 3 hours at 175 degrees. We have 4 probes in. Internal temp is 149...140...158...153. I just increased temp of oven to 200.

19mm is like 3/4 inch right? is that considered a small stick? I don't make these so I don't know

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky