Cure #1 Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
Houston Texas
I was using the cure calculator on this site for the amount of cure#1 in 10 lbs. Of smoked sausage, it reads cure1=11.32 grams, salt needed =80.1grams ,& sugar needed =45.36grams for total 4672.68grams ,so I add grams needed to the cure or what?

I usually just use 2 teaspoons of cure for every 10lb. then add what ever else I want, I really can't answer your question about the grams but i'm sure one the pro's will be around to help

Pretty much what Holly said.

10lbs (meat)= 4540 grams

Cure @ 1.1g/lb = 11g
Salt @ 2-3% = 90.8 - 136.2g
Sugar @ .5-1% = 22.7 - 45.4g

Those are your required totals. You just calculate your meat weight to get the cure amounts needed.

I'm guessing what you're thinking of is a wet or EQ curing situation where you would add the weight of the water as well as the weight of the meat, etc.

But that's not what you're doing, unless you're completely reinventing sausage making and we don't know it :-P

No I'm not trying to reinvent sausage making just wondering when you calculate your grams of meat it gives you the amount at the bottom of Diggindog farm chart .

Cures are Generally

1.1g of cure for every 454g (1lb) of meat

Salt is added at between 2% to 3% of the weight of the meat.

Sugar is added at between 0.5% to 1%

Spices are added in whatever quantity you prefer

I'm sorry but I do not understand you question.

Pretty much what Holly said.

10lbs (meat)= 4540 grams

Cure @ 1.1g/lb = 11g
Salt @ 2-3% = 90.8 - 136.2g
Sugar @ .5-1% = 22.7 - 45.4g

Those are your required totals. You just calculate your meat weight to get the cure amounts needed.

I'm guessing what you're thinking of is a wet or EQ curing situation where you would add the weight of the water as well as the weight of the meat, etc.

But that's not what you're doing, unless you're completely reinventing sausage making and we don't know it :-P
You see where you have the salt and sugar, I was asking do I add those ingredients to my sausage .

This is my comment . I use that calculator for dry cure on bacon .
I use a recipe / formula for smoked sausage .
So find a smoked sausage recipe follow the ingredients along with the proper amount of cure for the weight you are making .

This is my comment . I use that calculator for dry cure on bacon .
I use a recipe / formula for smoked sausage .
So find a smoked sausage recipe follow the ingredients along with the proper amount of cure for the weight you are

Last edited:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search/15474103/?q=smoked+sausage&o=relevance&c[node]=130
I think there is some confusion here . Not sure what you are trying to make , but you can look thru those search results .
The above information is good . Holly is giving you the rule of thumb amounts per pound to add to the meat along with whatever spice profile you want .
Fivetricks is telling you to only weigh the meat to get the proper amount of cure . ( I think )
I use pre mixed seasonings , and some from other sources . So I don't have my own to post .

Reactions: indaswamp
Biggy1,

Formulas are listed below.
These are calculations for determining the required weights of ingredients, based on a measured weight of raw, ground meat. These calculations are only valid for making sausages.

Cure#1
NaNO2 [ppm] = 1000000 * 0.0625 * Cure#1 [g] / meat [g]
algebra magic:
Cure#1 [g] = NaNO2 [ppm] * meat [g] / (1000000 * 0.0625)

NaNO2 target = 156ppm
Meat weight = 4535.9g
Therefore, Cure#1 = 11.3g

Salt
Target 2-3% of the meat weight.
**Note that you already have 11.3g of Cure#1, which is 93.75% salt. The Calculator you are using takes this into account.
Salt [g] = (0.02 * meat [g]) - (0.9375 * Cure#1 [g]) = 80.1g of Salt

Sugar
Sugar [g] = 0.01 * meat [g] = 45.4g of Sugar

Water
Water [g] = Water [mL] = 0.10* meat [g] = 454g = 454mL of water

Mix everything together.
There is some debate whether or not to add the dry ingredients to the water first, before mixing it with the meat.

Does this help?

Last edited:
Yup
rock.jpg

1 level tsp per every 5 pounds of meat.
Easy Peasy and no PHD required.

Biggy1,
Thanks a lot I got it , I made 10#s of pork and beef smoked links and they were salty , I used AC Legg #10 and they were a little hot for my mother. I'm trying to get this batch right.
These are calculations for determining the required weights of ingredients, based on a measured weight of raw, ground meat. These calculations are only valid for making sausages.

Cure#1
algebra magic:

NaNO2 target = 156ppm
Meat weight = 4535.9g

Salt
**Note that you already have 11.3g of Cure#1, which is 93.75% salt. The Calculator you are using takes this into account.

Sugar

Water

Mix everything together.
There is some debate whether or not to add the dry ingredients to the water first, before mixing it with the meat.

Does this help?

Biggy1,

Cure#1
algebra magic:

NaNO2 target = 156ppm
Meat weight = 4535.9g

Salt

Sugar

Water

Mix everything together.

Does this help?
Yup
View attachment 396315

1 level tsp per every 5 pounds of meat.
Easy Peasy and no PHD required.

I just wanted to know if I had to add salt, and sugar amounts to the AC Legg #10 because I didn't want it to be real salty. Thank you guys so much!

I just wanted to know if I had to add salt, and sugar amounts to the AC Legg #10 because I didn't want it to be real salty. Thank you guys so much!
AC Leggs #10 will already have the salt amount in the pre mix package so no, you do not need t add more plain salt. When you add the cure, you will be adding roughly 0.25% more additional salt to the meat paste.
I do not use pre packaged seasoning mixes for this reason...I mix my own so I can control how much salt I am adding. And I think creating the spice profile I am looking for is half the fun anyways....

*edit to add:
AC Leggs #10 also already has sugar added the mix...
https://www.askthemeatcutter.com/products/a-c-legg-inc-10-pork-sausage-seasoning

Thank you,that's what I wanted to know because I added salt and sugar to the 1st.batch and messed up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky