Cure 1 question again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

halleoneagain

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 20, 2022
Eastern Washington
Just want to make sure I have this right. If I use Cure 1 in my sausage recipe(s) and I am using a Little Chief cold smoker, am I safe if I go beyond the 4 hours in the 40-140 degrees range? I would pull them and finish in the oven or poach them. I don't anticipate smoking simple sausages that long, but the nurse in me can't get past the safety issue. Thanks for any help on this!

I do the same as chopsaw and DanMcG. Sometimes I finish in smoker, but have found 3 or 4 hrs smoke is all I want on them, more is often too much. So when they stall, I just pull and Sous Vide finish.

I don't know about sous vide cooking, guess that's another thing I need to learn about. About the best I can do in that department is put sausage or whatever in my big spaghetti pot and use my Thermapen One to check water temps. Do you put the sausages straight into the water, or must they be in a bag?

Ray has you covered .
Here's how I did some Bockwurst . No smoke , just poached .
Water at temp , sausage right in the water .
1665776908715.jpeg
30 minutes at that temp for hog casing .
1665776930493.jpeg

Basic . Assuming you have a pot . water and a plate . Lol .
That cut shot is 30 minutes on the dot at 176 degrees . You can see it's cooked .

20221010_221530.jpg
20221010_224901.jpg

Weisswurst but made with pork, from 5 or 6 days ago. I run the SV heater at 160 or 165. 150 if a lot of fat. That is to reduce chances for fat melting, or "fat out". You only need to achieve a time/temperature combination that will give pathogen lethality. 175 to 180 works and is a fast cook, but sometimes you might want to do a lower temp. For instance on higher fat sausages, or brats with a loose bind that may not hold fat well, or things with lower melting point fat like chicken fat in a chicken sausage, or high moisture sausages like a green curry brat I made last week with 20% coconut cream as the liquid.

If you want to know most everything there is for cooking sausage with sous vide or in water...
The research guys at the gov have already figured out exactly how long at various temps will kill germs or pasteurize, and put it all in a great booklet that all sausage makers should download, called
"FSIS Cooking Guideline for
Meat and Poultry Products
(Revised Appendix A)
December, 2021"
Food Safety Inspection Service is FSIS. It tells you how to cook, moisture during cooks, etc. Not mandatory for non commercial makers, but it is it's wise for a home producer to at least know what the required safety standard is for commercial, before they decide to deciate from it. And it can really improve your game in many areas.
Here is the chart for cooking meat, there is another chart for chicken, and details about required moisture etc in the pamphlet. But cooking in water, or inside a sealed bag in water, all these temps apply.

Hope that is helpful to get you started on SV!
Screenshot_20221013-162510_Drive.jpg

View attachment 645914View attachment 645915

Weisswurst but made with pork, from 5 or 6 days ago. I run the SV heater at 160 or 165. 150 if a lot of fat. That is to reduce chances for fat melting, or "fat out". You only need to achieve a time/temperature combination that will give pathogen lethality. 175 to 180 works and is a fast cook, but sometimes you might want to do a lower temp. For instance on higher fat sausages, or brats with a loose bind that may not hold fat well, or things with lower melting point fat like chicken fat in a chicken sausage, or high moisture sausages like a green curry brat I made last week with 20% coconut cream as the liquid.

If you want to know most everything there is for cooking sausage with sous vide or in water...
The research guys at the gov have already figured out exactly how long at various temps will kill germs or pasteurize, and put it all in a great booklet that all sausage makers should download, called
"FSIS Cooking Guideline for
Meat and Poultry Products
(Revised Appendix A)
December, 2021"
Food Safety Inspection Service is FSIS. It tells you how to cook, moisture during cooks, etc. Not mandatory for non commercial makers, but it is it's wise for a home producer to at least know what the required safety standard is for commercial, before they decide to deciate from it. And it can really improve your game in many areas.
Here is the chart for cooking meat, there is another chart for chicken, and details about required moisture etc in the pamphlet. But cooking in water, or inside a sealed bag in water, all these temps apply.

Hope that is helpful to get you started on SV!
View attachment 645916
Thank you, I looked up the FSIS document, and it's about as long as reading Marianski. Now I'm off to Amazon to look at/learn about sous vide machines. I may need a bottle of wine after this, although I am undoubtedly making this out to be harder than it is. A family trait.......

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thank you, I looked up the FSIS document, and it's about as long as reading Marianski. Now I'm off to Amazon to look at/learn about sous vide machines. I may need a bottle of wine after this, although I am undoubtedly making this out to be harder than it is. A family trait.......

That doc isn't as long as it looks. Most all you need is on 10 pages, it just has a lot of reference tables and examples for commercial producers, and flow charts to help you work thru things visually. ;)

The forum is not only a great source of information, many find it to be a great help in assisting to spend money! I don't smoke much of the sausage I make anymore, I prefer fresh and grilled. The sous vide does come in handy for leftovers Lynn, reheating without overcooking, nice for beef and lamb. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky