Cucumbers for Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
From what I've heard you should reduce the amount of pickling salt when using the pickle crisp. Though I do not know how much. I've never used it. Pickle crisp is a alternative to alum.

Thanks Steve and Al for all of the help! Looking forward to trying it out - hopefully tomorrow.

I’ll dial back the picking salt some, since I’m planning to use some Pickle Crisp. Not sure on exacts, but I’ll dial it back some.

Have you tried any other veggies in this same brine and process? I picked up some asparagus that I think I may try...why not.

Thanks Steve and Al for all of the help! Looking forward to trying it out - hopefully tomorrow.

I’ll dial back the picking salt some, since I’m planning to use some Pickle Crisp. Not sure on exacts, but I’ll dial it back some.

Have you tried any other veggies in this same brine and process? I picked up some asparagus that I think I may try...why not.

With Al's brine I've done pickles, of course, and three different types of peppers. Jalapeno, Cubanelle, and Hungarian peppers, and onions. Califlower and green beans are next when I find them. asparagus sounds interesting.

Many times I have put jalapenos & onions in with the pickles & they come out great.
So I'm sure this mix will pickle just about anything.
Al

After I pour the hot brine into the jars, do they need to cool before I put lids on and vacuum seal? Or, seal them while hot?

Thanks for all of the input, Steve.

I did one quart size jar of the non-spicy garlic dill pickles and one quart size jar of the garlic dill pickles with the added spice. I’m also trying a jar of pickled asparagus- who knows.

I think I followed Al’s recipe fairly close - probably a little deviation. The jar sealer seemed to work really well.

They are cooling now, and then I’ll stick them in the fridge.

17922E0B-AB9E-4266-A1E4-008AB59BE380.jpeg

E81F2F22-6478-43AB-9E0E-04CC4C66BD9D.jpeg

Couple of questions:

- How long will these keep, sealed and unopened, in the fridge?
- Once you open a jar, should you re-vacuum seal? Or how long will they keep on the fridge, after breaking the seal?
- Also, some of the cucumbers looked off, when I cut them open. See the pick below. I ended up throwing some of them away, because they looked different. Does anyone know why they look the way they did? Are they bad?

20B4F062-CFC8-4B2B-8C9E-8F89AE3F0004.jpeg

Reactions: Steve H
My only guess is they were bruised or starting to go bad. I wouldn't eat them either. I haven't resealed them after opening because we eat them within a week or so. Al has reported that vacuum sealed jars can last up to a year in the fridge. I am very interested in your thoughts on the asparagus. Keep us informed. And happy eating!

Thanks for all of the input, Steve.

I did one quart size jar of the non-spicy garlic dill pickles and one quart size jar of the garlic dill pickles with the added spice. I’m also trying a jar of pickled asparagus- who knows.

I think I followed Al’s recipe fairly close - probably a little deviation. The jar sealer seemed to work really well.

They are cooling now, and then I’ll stick them in the fridge.

View attachment 391907

View attachment 391908

Couple of questions:

- How long will these keep, sealed and unopened, in the fridge?
- Once you open a jar, should you re-vacuum seal? Or how long will they keep on the fridge, after breaking the seal?
- Also, some of the cucumbers looked off, when I cut them open. See the pick below. I ended up throwing some of them away, because they looked different. Does anyone know why they look the way they did? Are they bad?

View attachment 391909
They look like they were frozen at some point

After 5 days under vacuum, I break the seal & just put on a regular plastic lid.
They will last over a year in the fridge without vacuum.
If you leave them under vacuum, they will get too strong.
Al

After 5 days under vacuum, I break the seal & just put on a regular plastic lid.
They will last over a year in the fridge without vacuum.
If you leave them under vacuum, they will get too strong.
Al
Never gave that any thought . I left mine vac'd . Some are coming up on 9 months . Last jar I opened was a bit strong , but very good , and still crunchy .

Never gave that any thought . I left mine vac'd . Some are coming up on 9 months . Last jar I opened was a bit strong , but very good , and still crunchy .

If you like real strong sour pickles, then by all means leave them under vacuum longer.
But even if they are not under vacuum, they get stronger with age.
They don't start to soften up until after a year or so in the fridge.
Al

If you like real strong sour pickles, then by all means leave them under vacuum longer.
But even if they are not under vacuum, they get stronger with age.
They don't start to soften up until after a year or so in the fridge.
Al
I should have also said , now I know why these are different . Almost transparent . I had some small jars that were not vac'd . So I did a comparison ,,, the long term vac pickles are strong . First time having some that just went by time not vac'd . My goodness ,,, they are really good . About 8 months old .

I should have also said , now I know why these are different . Almost transparent . I had some small jars that were not vac'd . So I did a comparison ,,, the long term vac pickles are strong . First time having some that just went by time not vac'd . My goodness ,,, they are really good . About 8 months old .

Yea that is why I say just 3-5 days under vacuum, then they are ready to eat, but they pick up more flavor over time while not under vacuum.
Al

Hmm, I didn't give that a thought about releasing the vacuum after a few days. I haven't had a jar that got past a couple of weeks yet!

So I bought the Ball pickle mix. And did two quarts. My first thought was that I am wondering if these will taste mass produced. The brine smelled too much like pickle juice for what I've grown used to with making pickles. I could be, and hope, I am wrong. I'll know in a few days. Stay tuned....

_DSC9047.jpg
_DSC9049.jpg

Reactions: illini40 and xray
So I bought the Ball pickle mix. And did two quarts. My first thought was that I am wondering if these will taste mass produced. The brine smelled too much like pickle juice for what I've grown used to with making pickles. I could be, and hope, I am wrong. I'll know in a few days. Stay tuned....

View attachment 392314 View attachment 392315

Yeah, don’t think that’s gonna work. I could dispose of those two jars for you!

But seriously, I think they look good.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky