Cucumbers for Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I am not sure where to post this, so please advise.

Are there certain types of cucumbers that are best for making pickles?

I have a jar attachment coming for my new Food Saver, and I think I want to try to make some pickles. I will need to buy cucumbers, so curious if there are certain types that I need to look for.

I basically have access to a Walmart, Kroger, and County Market - nothing fancy.

We always used Kirby cucumbers for pickles.

Small ones are the best because they have smaller seeds.

My relatives run a farmers market, so there’s no shortage of cukes for me in the summer.

However, If you’re buying cucumbers in the supermarket, be sure to remove the wax before pickling.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Last year I grew Boston pickling cucumbers . I like those , Kirby are a go to for sure . The Bostons had black spines like mentioned above .

wally carries small pickling cukes, try and get the firmest you can.

My relatives run a farmers market, so there’s no shortage of cukes for me in the summer.

However, If you’re buying cucumbers in the supermarket, be sure to remove the wax before pickling.

Good point about the wax xray

Warren

Reactions: xray

Educate me please - what do you mean by remove the wax? Thanks

Yes some types are better than others. I was taught that black spines were better.

Warren

What does “black spines” mean? Is that a type or just literally the spines/lines are darker than others? Thanks

Last year I grew Boston pickling cucumbers . I like those , Kirby are a go to for sure . The Bostons had black spines like mentioned above .

I have heard Kirby’s mentioned a lot. Not sure if they are readily available in stores?

wally carries small pickling cukes, try and get the firmest you can.

Awesome - I’ll be on the look out for those. Thanks

Educate me please - what do you mean by remove the wax? Thanks

Virtually, all fruit and vegetables prone to quick spoilage have an edible wax coating. It is applied to preserve freshness, prolong shelf life and make the produce look more appealing...think shiny apples, lemons and oranges. Same with cucumbers.

Certified organic produce does not contain wax.

To remove the wax, just run under warm water and rub with a clean towel or paper towel or scrub with a vegetable brush.

Virtually, all fruit and vegetables prone to quick spoilage have an edible wax coating. It is applied to preserve freshness, prolong shelf life and make the produce look more appealing...think shiny apples, lemons and oranges. Same with cucumbers.

Certified organic produce does not contain wax.

To remove the wax, just run under warm water and rub with a clean towel or paper towel or scrub with a vegetable brush.

Ah - thank you!

Our WallyWorld almost always has pickling cukes year round.
Al

Thanks Al! I’m checking out your recipe.

Just to confirm - you use Alum in the jars, plus picking salt in the brine? The spices/fry ingredients just go in the bottom of the jars (not mixed into the brine on the stove)?

I plan to vacuum seal mason jars (not the big canisters). Should I follow the jar recipe and then just still vacuum seal with the attachment?

Thank again!

Also - has anyone tried this with other veggies (asparagus, cauliflower)?

Ah - thank you!

Thanks Al! I’m checking out your recipe.

Just to confirm - you use Alum in the jars, plus picking salt in the brine? The spices/fry ingredients just go in the bottom of the jars (not mixed into the brine on the stove)?

I plan to vacuum seal mason jars (not the big canisters). Should I follow the jar recipe and then just still vacuum seal with the attachment?

Thank again!

Also - has anyone tried this with other veggies (asparagus, cauliflower)?

Yes, the alum and dry spices and fresh dill go in the jar with the cucumbers. The vinegar and salt gets heated until it boils. Then pour into jar within 1/2" from top. put on lid. And vac. seal. Then put ring on. And gently shake the jar to mix the ingrediants. Let it sit until it cools down. Which doesn't take long if the cucumbers have been in a ice bath. Put in fridge for a few days. And enjoy.

Is Pickle Crisp ok to use in place of the Alum? I cannot find Alum.

Can you use Pickle Crisp in addition to Pickling Salt? They are not the same or competing, correct?

From what I've heard you should reduce the amount of pickling salt when using the pickle crisp. Though I do not know how much. I've never used it. Pickle crisp is a alternative to alum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky