Crutching

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

delearyous

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
We all know Aaron Franklin wraps his brisket with paper. Has anyone else used that method for ribs or butts?

I don't use paper but use aluminum foil on ribs, butts, and brisket along with some other things

I wrap all of them with foil just for convenience. If you go to Franklin's YouTube channel, he did an episode on the results of paper versus foil versus nothing with brisket. Interesting stuff for a smoking geek.

It depends on how I'm feeling, but most of the time I don't wrap anything.

If I do wrap, I use foil.

I guess I should give the butcher paper a try on the next brisket.

Al

For wrapping to be effective it needs to be tightly done. The idea is to hold

in the the steam escaping from the meat. For that reason foil has an advantage

over paper.

over paper.

over paper.
I haven't used paper but think it would be fine, but as far as a tight wrap of foil being more effective over a loose wrap, I have to disagree with that.

I never wrap Ribs tightly if I foil, I foil in steamer pans and it's quite effective, of course YMMV.

Butts/Picnics I will wrap directly.

Usually use butcher paper for brisket. For butts I usually foil around 160, but if I'm cooking a large quantity of butts I usually don't bother foiling.
Ribs I usually don't foil.

I haven't used paper but think it would be fine, but as far as a tight wrap of foil being more effective over a loose wrap, I have to disagree with that.

I never wrap Ribs tightly if I foil, I foil in steamer pans and it's quite effective, of course YMMV.

Butts/Picnics I will wrap directly.
I was speaking of butts &brisket. You don't get a "stall" on ribs so if you wrap ribs its to keep them juicy & get the flavor the glaze to perpetrate.

Not to keep the steam in and help with the cook.

I was speaking of butts &brisket. You don't get a "stall" on ribs so if you wrap ribs its to keep them juicy & get the flavor the glaze to perpetrate.

Not to keep the steam in and help with the cook.
Ah Hah! We've finally caught the glaze perpetrator!  
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky