Crosley Shelvador fridge build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd put a diffuser a couple inches above where the pipe enters the smoke chamber so you do not have a hot column of air rising rapidly right in the middle of the smoke chamber...

Roger that. Exactly what we were thinking. Just haven't got it in there yet. This has been so much a bigger project than I ever anticipated, when I bought the fridge for $20 at an estate sale. My friend has the plasma cutter , welder, grinder, chop saw, etc.....he's got about 20 hrs In to this already. I've got over $400 into it also........& I've still gotta square up with the friend for his materials...still have to get it painted, put in the dampers, get the rope gasket installed, the diffuser plate and then see if it actually smokes......

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
All done but the paint and installing a thermometer in the cooking chamber that we can read outside without opening the door. Got it started with a little charcoal and then added maple .......took an hour & a half to get up to 275 ......gonna let it burn off whatever it can while I babysit it today. Just happy it got up to temp with no effort. Got this fridge on 2/26/18 so 5 weeks total build time. Glad it's over!

Thanks. I'll post the first cook ! Might be a couple weeks, I want to get a feel for how it heats before I put any meat in it. Prolly going to be whole chickens first, cause they're cheap.

Agreed...do chickens first-either whole or leg quarters which are a little more forgiving. Next I recommend pork butt for a long cook to dial it in and get a feel for how she runs....

I can do that. Whole chickens were just on sale for 79 cents a pound and I've got 3 cases of pork butts in freezers , they were just on sale for 99 cents a pound. Wife almost shit when I come home with 225 lbs of pork butts but my brother and I split on them.

Once a year here. My buddy is the meat manager and he says they lose money on them at 99 cents a lb .....so that's why they only do it once a year. They are the bone-in pork buts, my favorite smoke....

just ordered the thermpro tp20. Also got some stove paint to make it all black, once the weather gets warm enough to paint outside

looking @ the last picture again, you might need to extend the diffuser baffle all the way to the door. Heat will rush up that gap and you might have a hot spot to the front of your grates.

Ugly smoker got paint today. Still need to figure out and order a new door gasket then I can proceed to smoke !

Attachments

• 747CFA0E-365B-4893-9BD8-53A680B8BDBD.jpeg
    747CFA0E-365B-4893-9BD8-53A680B8BDBD.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 6F2E0CFB-BF64-4AA8-8360-72453B427657.jpeg
    6F2E0CFB-BF64-4AA8-8360-72453B427657.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 69
  • AA00D0F8-B37F-47A6-B0F7-D5979A1E84E5.jpeg
    AA00D0F8-B37F-47A6-B0F7-D5979A1E84E5.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: fivetricks
Ordered the tadpole silicone gasket from amazon last night. Should be here next Wednesday. I will do a mock burn again just to get it dialed in and then I will throw some flesh in the box and give it a try! Pics to follow!

Finally , the new gasket is on..... project complete.....neighbor kid is spearing carp tomorrow so I may get some from him for my first smoke..... if not , I’ve got whole chickens and pork butts I will do early next week.

Attachments

• 4136E85D-E04B-465F-B611-890CA2B5C7B1.jpeg
    4136E85D-E04B-465F-B611-890CA2B5C7B1.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 67
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Affectionately named "The Black Box That Rocks"!

Best money I ever spent. Really getting my money's worth from this smoker.

If you're thinking about building one..... I say go for it!!

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky