Creamy Shrimp, Scallop and Cheese Grits...Picture lite.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great lookin dish Chris, Id shove some of that in my pie hole
Thanks Kevin. They turned out better then I thought they would.
Well dang man...you made them look so good I may have to try them as well! Great job!

Ryan
Appreciate it Ryan and for the like. They are good and I think you'll like them. Word of warning they're very filling.

Chris

That looks awesome, Chris! Everything looks perfectly cooked, and excellent steps descriptions. Great job.
Thank you kindly Mike and for the like. The 5 minute grits made it easy.
Everything looks great Chris!
We may make you and honorary southern boy after that fine display 😂.

And where in Ga is your daughter ?

Keith
Appreciate it Keith and for the like. We're still looking to possible retire in the south. So the honorary title may come in handy. LOL

Daughter lives in Social Circle. It reminds me of Mayberry RFD.

Chris

Chris

Reactions: 912smoker
Daughter lives in Social Circle. It reminds me of Mayberry RFD.
That's 20 minutes from me, and I go through there a lot. The center of town is reminiscent of Mayberry, lol. I always say I'd like to live there or a similar place. Love the old town square type of places.
Small world.

Reactions: jcam222
Wow! Only one picture needed! Awesome, awesome! Shrimp and grits is 100% one of my favorites, but I visit places where I can get some that are legit. I need to do this one when I can eat normal again next month. Big points!
Much appreciated Jed and for the like. Next month will be here before you know it and you'll be chowing down again.
Like for the toppings.
Grits is just not my thing.
For me that would be great over rice.

Thanks Fueling, I'd never had them before and kept hearing the pro's and con's of grits. Well, I had to try them for myself. And well lets just say I've seen the light!!! Rice would be a good substitute but you'd need a good sauce.

Chris
Chris

Reactions: bauchjw
Fantastic job Chris! Now, I'm hungry for a bowl of grits. I never thought of adding scallops.
Thanks Steve and for the like. I wasn't planning on the scallops at first. Then when I was at the local grocer I saw them and thought - why not. Glad I did. I'm gonna add lobster tails to the next batch. We can still get tails pretty cheap, and I think they'd be a great addition.
I'd take a bowl or two of that! Looks darn good.

Jim
Appreciate it Jim and for the like. They tasted better then expected.
That's 20 minutes from me, and I go through there a lot. The center of town is reminiscent of Mayberry, lol. I always say I'd like to live there or a similar place. Love the old town square type of places.
Small world.
LOL, Yea she works at UGA in Athens and my SIL works for Delta. Social Circle seemed like a nice town that's somewhere in the middle. I love visiting.

Chris

Chris , that something I've never had . You made it look fantastic , I have to try it myself .
Really nice work bud .

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks Rich and for the like. I think you'll really enjoy it. Give it a go and let us know what your think.

Chris

So very sorry about this thread only having a one picture, but I was more concerned with making this dish then doing a tutorial. After a fantastic afternoon watching my grandson. My wife and I came home and decided to go for it. Well HOT DAMN i'm glad we did.

Ingredients:
32oz of Chicken Broth
2 chicken Bouillon cubes
1lb. uncooked shrimp
1/2lb dry scallops
12oz. bacon
1/2 pint of half-n-half
1 level cup of Quaker Oats 5 min. grits
16oz Freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
A few cuts of green onions for appearance
Unknown quantity of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

In a nutshell. I basically cooked the bacon. Then w/o draining the grease I cooked the shrimp and scallops in the grease. Next I brought the chicken broth with the bouillon cubes to a boil. Added grits and turned the heat to low. Stirring every 2 minutes. Once I had the consistency I was looking for I added the cheese. Half-n-Half was then added to maintain desired thickness. At this point I added salt and pepper to taste. When I was at my happy place with the grits I folded in bacon crumbles, a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease, all but 8 of the shrimp and 6 of the scallops. Spoon it into a bowl and topped each bowl with 3 scallops and 4 shrimp. Sliced up some green onion for presentation and veggie. This was a total hit with the wife and I. Most definitely doing this again. Except next time I'll probably add some lobster to the mix.

View attachment 629185

Thanks for taking a look, and thanks to all of the SMF family who provided me with their guidance and expertise in the fine art of making Grits.

Chris
You done good, Chris. Here are a few "rules" about grits:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:, copied from Meathead's Amazing Ribs website:
  1. Thou shalt use only salt, butter, and cheese as toppings for thy Grits. OK, sometimes shrimp, bacon, and ham are allowed.
  2. Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits
  3. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits
  4. Thou shalt not put ketchup on thy Grits
  5. Thou shalt not put margarine on thy Grits
  6. Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits, for this is blasphemy
  7. Thou shalt not eat instant Grits
  8. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s Grits
  9. Thou shalt not eat toast with thy Grits, only biscuits made from scratch
  10. Thou shalt eat grits every day
I only use stone ground grits and I add about ¼ tsp of baking soda per quart of cooked grits, give or take. It makes them creamy, velvety, and will thicken them. It may be added prior to cooking the grits, but I always leave the cooked grits a little on the thin side and add afterwards because they will thicken with the baking soda. Also, grits always thicken over time while sitting. Start with a little and add a little more until you get your desired results. I allow 45 minutes to cook stone ground grits, I just keep adding liquid and stirring A LOT.

Chris that looks superb!! Simply gorgeous food right there. Sounded simple enough but the end result is amazing. Personally, I'd have been inclined to add a shot of Cajun seasoning....but hey, that's just me :emoji_laughing:

Robert

And the best part is you didn't need that perverbial screen door at 40 feet! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

You done good, Chris. Here are a few "rules" about grits:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:, copied from Meathead's Amazing Ribs website:
  1. Thou shalt use only salt, butter, and cheese as toppings for thy Grits. OK, sometimes shrimp, bacon, and ham are allowed.
  2. Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits
  3. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits
  4. Thou shalt not put ketchup on thy Grits
  5. Thou shalt not put margarine on thy Grits
  6. Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits, for this is blasphemy
  7. Thou shalt not eat instant Grits
  8. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s Grits
  9. Thou shalt not eat toast with thy Grits, only biscuits made from scratch
  10. Thou shalt eat grits every day
I only use stone ground grits and I add about ¼ tsp of baking soda per quart of cooked grits, give or take. It makes them creamy, velvety, and will thicken them. It may be added prior to cooking the grits, but I always leave the cooked grits a little on the thin side and add afterwards because they will thicken with the baking soda. Also, grits always thicken over time while sitting. Start with a little and add a little more until you get your desired results. I allow 45 minutes to cook stone ground grits, I just keep adding liquid and stirring A LOT.
Thanks Charles for kind words, and laugh. It looks like I may have broken rules 1, 7, and 10. My bad. I promise to do better next time. :emoji_laughing:
Chris that looks superb!! Simply gorgeous food right there. Sounded simple enough but the end result is amazing. Personally, I'd have been inclined to add a shot of Cajun seasoning....but hey, that's just me :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Appreciate it Robert and for the like. Simple, rich and fulling. I thought about adding some Creole seasoning to them, but i didn't wanted to veer to far off the path on my inaugural trip.

Chris

Nice Chris! Can't believe this is your first time having shrimp and grits. You nailed it though! Hope you washed it down with an ice cold PBR.
PBRs were at the ready Vol.. Not many grit places up our way. Thanks for the like and kindly words. Much appreciated.

And the best part is you didn't need that perverbial screen door at 40 feet! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan
Thanks Ryan although I kinda lost on that one.

Chris

Definitely a solid A. Now just blacken those skrimp for an A+ ;)

Well done

Thanks G8twood and for the like. Blackening the shrimp may be to much of a change for my wife. I'll have to take baby steps with that one.
Nice Job, Chris!!
Looks Real Purdy!!
Like.

Bear
Appreciate it John and for the like
Chris

Reactions: G8trwood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky