Cream of tomato soup and grilled cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lmk what you think of you make it. Making the broth extra strength is important. Trial and error says it helps it to keep from being too tangy / tomatoey if that makes sense.
Jeff, Holy Sh**! This recipe is a Tomato Soup bomb! My kids had two bowls, my wife and I had two huge bowls, and I’m thinking about drinking a mug of it on the way to work tomorrow! It is so rich and delicious, man that is a 5 star restaurant quality concoction you put together Jeff. I only went with 1 tablspn vinegar and 1 sugar at the end, my wife was yelling “No! You’re going to ruin it!” But after that last little touch, she said it tipped it into a different level, like you said, dulls some of that tangy tomato taste. Please ignore the black bits, accidentally got some fire roasted instead of crushed, couldn’t go back. Big Salute, thank you for sharing a hard earned creation!
20 min simmer:
CC30B408-E2EB-42A2-AAAE-8DD72187D725.jpeg

First of 2 big bowls for me…thinking it’s time for one more!
37E8FF8F-DFD2-4755-A4E3-0A136C7B3A4C.jpeg

Jeff, Holy Sh**! This recipe is a Tomato Soup bomb! My kids had two bowls, my wife and I had two huge bowls, and I’m thinking about drinking a mug of it on the way to work tomorrow! It is so rich and delicious, man that is a 5 star restaurant quality concoction you put together Jeff. I only went with 1 tablspn vinegar and 1 sugar at the end, my wife was yelling “No! You’re going to ruin it!” But after that last little touch, she said it tipped it into a different level, like you said, dulls some of that tangy tomato taste. Please ignore the black bits, accidentally got some fire roasted instead of crushed, couldn’t go back. Big Salute, thank you for sharing a hard earned creation!
20 min simmer:
View attachment 527412
First of 2 big bowls for me…thinking it’s time for one more!
View attachment 527413
Glad to hear you like it! Love when folks try my recipe and enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: bauchjw
Looks delicious. I love meunster on a grilled cheese. Nice work.
Yep!! I'll take that meal any day! Definatly looks like flavor town to me. Comfort food at its finest...nice work Jeff !!
Oh man! That looks incredible! Thank you for the recipe! Tomato soup is the only way I can get one of my kids to eat a veggie!!!!
That is a far cry from my Campbells. It looks absolutely amazing!
Looks amazing! Great job!
One of the best meals ever invented. They were made for each other. Great recipe. I bet it was fantastic.
Now that is the meaning of comfort food! Thanks for sharing.
I've never seen a better looking soup and sandwich picture.

Thanks for a great looking recipe!
As the mayor of Flavortown would say…that’s off the chain!

Some great looking soup Jeff and a winter staple here when eaten with grilled cheese. Thanks for sharing the recipe, gonna bookmark this one.
Great looking plate! I could eat that every day!
Jim
Looks great Jeff! That soup is on my short list for sure.
That is a meal I have been eating my whole life, and I still love it.
However, yours is on steroids!
Nice work!
Al
Here I am checking this thread out to see if you used mayo to grill the cheese and see scratched made tomato soup! KILLER. Man Jeff you are killing it! I can see the Sazon addition working well and big fan of it and their Total seasoning. If you are in the mood to play around a little dry sherry/brandy/or both is our hack for Campbell's (and making it with milk instead of water)
I second the grilled cheese with mayo. Makes a big difference. And the mayo for that is Kewpie, if you can find it. It’s a Japanese mayo and it’s also amazing on BLTs. I get mine at a local Asian store but Amazon also sells it.
Wow you just upped the grill cheese and tomatoes soup sammie. Nice job.

Warren
Man, that is some nice work!! One of my favorite meals. Thanks for the recipe, I'm definately going to make that!.....Then again, since you are from NE Ohio and I'm from NW Pa., I may just show up on your doorstep holding a bowl and a spoon! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
I used Dukes for the grilled cheese. Just learned that last year and it’s a game changer over butter.
Thanks all for the kind words! My last name is Campbell so tomato soups in my blood haha. Seriously I think you will love this one if you make it. Common pantry ingredients, quick to make and pretty tasty.

Thanks all for the kind words! My last name is Campbell so tomato soups in my blood haha. Seriously I think you will love this one if you make it. Common pantry ingredients, quick to make and pretty tasty.
My family will vouch! It’s as legit as you can get!

Reactions: jcam222
Wow Jeff, you continually have a way of taking food to the next level but this one is totally over the top. I've never seen or heard of tomato soup anything like this and cannot wait to make it. Needless to say, I'm stealing this one buddy :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow Jeff, you continually have a way of taking food to the next level but this one is totally over the top. I've never seen or heard of tomato soup anything like this and cannot wait to make it. Needless to say, I'm stealing this one buddy :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert. Lmk what you think. bauchjw bauchjw and family loved it. I’m almost out and want more lol.

Robert
Thanks Robert. Lmk what you think. bauchjw bauchjw and family loved it. I’m almost out and want more lol.
Definitely do this, the circle of addicts has spread here in Alexandria! Thankfully this recipe makes a lot, so I brought some to the friends who just had a baby this morning before work and they just sent a text that it's gone, raved about it, and they want Jeff's recipe! :emoji_laughing: They never asked me for the enchilada recipe:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Jeff, not trying to be overly difficult but I have a Q for you. Just did a little research on the Sazon Goya and it appears that there are several different flavors / varieties. Which one do you recommend?

Robert

Jeff, not trying to be overly difficult but I have a Q for you. Just did a little research on the Sazon Goya and it appears that there are several different flavors / varieties. Which one do you recommend?

Robert
No worries. I should have been more specific. I just assume as I keep a big boxes of these packets on hand. They are great in many things well beyond Mexican food.
EA7E4EA9-DB81-43E4-870C-363A4B984D7D.jpeg

I second the grilled cheese with mayo. Makes a big difference. And the mayo for that is Kewpie, if you can find it. It’s a Japanese mayo and it’s also amazing on BLTs. I get mine at a local Asian store but Amazon also sells it.

WalMart also sells Kewpie. IIRC for a lot less than Amazon. You want the import version packaged in the bag. If not Kewpie use Dukes.

Both work instead of butter on the outside of the sandwich but their best use of them is inside with bacon grease on the outside.

Last edited:
Jeff, that's probably my favorite winter time comfort food taken to the next level, really nice. And it's so quick and easy...

Looked so good, I had to try it. Fantastic! Although I halved the recipe and it still was more than I thought. Halfway over, I had to switch to a bigger pot!
This was the Goya I found, though. Thought it would work, and it seemed to.
20220303_183840.jpg

20220303_193207.jpg

Plain toast was good enough!
20220303_194645.jpg

My neighbors family of 7 all have had COVID over the last week. I thought I'd do some soup for them so made a huge batch of this and thought I'd bump it for those of you who haven't tried it. Everyone who's tried it that I know of has loved it. Very rich with a silky mouth feel. Always up for feedback if you make it.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky