CRAWFISH TIME!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Did this a few weeks ago and keep forgetting to post it..
Nothing fancy just a good fun crawfish boil with the my boys!.
They thought it was the greatest thing ever... How often do you get to eat dinner right off the table with no plates and use your hands right??😂

I ended up with mostly the sausage.. Kids devoured the crawfish!

Ready to dig in!!
0109221805a~2.jpg

Knox chowing down!
0109221847i~2.jpg

Ryder was a complete mess from suckin the heads! Lol!
0109221847d~3.jpg

Fun meal for the boys they really enjoyed it!!
Thanks for taking a look!

I have not even had my first crawfish of 2022 yet...
Did you order those online or catch them local?
Not caught fresh around here this time of year... I cheated on this one and used frozen....I finally found some that are actually from USA so I figured i would give them a shot. They weren't bad! Pretty good actually. But deffinatly not the same as fresh... Basicly since they are already cooked I thawed them out and only let them cook about 1 min. Then straight to the soak.. They acted just like fresh.. Floated at first then sank to the bottom during the soak..

Gotcha....
My butcher buddy in Michigan catches local crawfish 1 at a time by dropping a baited line down the cawfish hole. Takes him weeks to get enough for a boil but it's a whole lot cheaper than ordering them online. Apparently Louisiana swamp crawfish are an invasive species in Michigan.

Gotcha....
My butcher buddy in Michigan catches local crawfish 1 at a time by dropping a baited line down the cawfish hole. Takes him weeks to get enough for a boil but it's a whole lot cheaper than ordering them online. Apparently Louisiana swamp crawfish are an invasive species in Michigan.
Dang! Hes got more patience than I do! Lol!
The kids can fill a 5-gallon bucket in a couple hours in the creek. But we got a lot of really small ones around here. By the time I sort through a 5 gallon bucket it's about a third full of eating size.

That looks like a ton of delicious fun! Im not sure I could get my girls to eat it, but my son would love it! I was just listening to a podcast about Crawfish boils and thinking that I should try one this summer. When I used to go down to Louisiana and Gulf shores area I had it a lot, but it's been years. Another thing to do! Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Sowsage
I ended up with mostly the sausage.. Kids devoured the crawfish!
That is a great picture of kids! Now you have me thinking of crawfish cornbread. Man is that stuff good!

Gotcha....
When a kid in Mi we did the same thing.

Last edited:
Yep, great to see the kids enjoying that! Thanks for sharing! Put a brick on Knox's head...he's growing so fast!

Ryan

Looks like a great time. There were some creeks near me as a kid that were packed with nice big ones. Where did you order them from?

Travis where did you order these online? I’d like to do some dishes soon. Got a new issues of Louisiana Cooking mag and it’s the annual crawdad special.

Travis where did you order these online? I’d like to do some dishes soon. Got a new issues of Louisiana Cooking mag and it’s the annual crawdad special.
Jeff, belive it or not our Wal-Mart caries them now. Frozen and from USA. Ive seen them frozen before but from overseas. They Cary the whole ones in a 3lb bag and then they also have pacages of just the tail meat. Your pretty close to me.. Chances are they have them at yours.. I went frozen because I didnt want to mess with ordering live in the middle of winter.. But I might do a big order of live ones this July for Ryders birthday party.

Reactions: jcam222
Awesome nothing beats sharing with the kids Will be a lifetime memory for them.

Warren
Thanks Warren ! Yep stuff like this will stick with them for sure!
Good stuff and good times!
Thanks Eddie !
It takes moxy to suck the guts of a crawdad....! That is awesome to see!
Thanks! Ryder thought suckin the head was the best part! Lol!
Yep, great to see the kids enjoying that! Thanks for sharing! Put a brick on Knox's head...he's growing so fast!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!!.. Your not kidding! I feel like everytime in turn around they get bigger!!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Jeff, belive it or not our Wal-Mart caries them now. Frozen and from USA. Ive seen them frozen before but from overseas. They Cary the whole ones in a 3lb bag and then they also have pacages of just the tail meat. Your pretty close to me.. Chances are they have them at yours.. I went frozen because I didnt want to mess with ordering live in the middle of winter.. But I might do a big order of live ones this July for Ryders birthday party.
We have to get the frozen ones in Minnesota, I contacted the DNR for a permit to import live ones and they said no. We have been getting by with the Walmart ones too.

But, I just got back from a weekend in the French Quarter so I'm full of crawfish (and chargrilled oysters) for a little while.

C76635BF-5D4A-4B5D-93FF-8114E78B0014.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky