Crawfish Bisque (sans the stuffed shells....)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Crawfish Bisque is an icon dish of South Louisiana....usually made in the months of May and June. Think crab cakes but made with course ground crawfish tail meat instead; and in a brown gravy. It is usually stuffed into cleaned large crawfish head shells. I forgo the stuffing and make small boullettes with the meat paste. The stew is eaten over rice. I cooked a big pot tonight in preparation for an up coming fishing trip; my buddy in Kansas is coming down at the end of June. This will be supper one night at the camp. The recipe is at the begining of the post, click on the link.

First I ground 3# of crawfish tail meat and made the meat stuffing. Everything in a bowl to mix...
IMG_20210611_144203.jpg

Making the boullettes (balls)...
IMG_20210611_152929.jpg

The gravy...
IMG_20210611_164624.jpg

All inda pot....
IMG_20210611_175427.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not much for fishing (never had the patience for it), but I'd sign onto the fishing trip for a bowl or two of that!
Jim

Reactions: PPG1
Dang.. this sounds delicious!
Thanks kilo....if you like crawfish-its pretty dang good!

I would eat that ... thanks for sharing
Thanks zippy!

I'm not much for fishing (never had the patience for it), but I'd sign onto the fishing trip for a bowl or two of that!
Jim
Ha! Fishing is usually fairly steady when reef fishing offshore. We've been hosting these guys for 8 years...it's an annual trip I look forward to. Good food, good friends....and hopefully good weather. That is what we need to have good fishing. Gotta be able to go out to catch 'em.

That looks good. How about some more details, like a Recipe? Locally, I could sub some Shrimp or Scallops...JJ

Reactions: 1MoreFord
That looks good. How about some more details, like a Recipe? Locally, I could sub some Shrimp or Scallops...JJ
JJ-
Shrimp or scallops would work, but I do not suggest using Chinese imported crawfish. No telling what is in the crawfish as they do not have strict EPA rules like we do and pollution is rampant in China.

Looks super tasty to this mountain boy. Any details you can share?
Thanks guys...the recipe link is in the post...click on Crawfish Bisque...

Last edited:
indaswamp indaswamp , I could definitely eat a bowl of that. :emoji_yum:

Chef JJ, shrimp will work. I do something very similar and I call them shrimp balls, but I deep fry them and spoon tomato gravy over them instead of the balls cooking in the gravy. All served over a bed of rice.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That looks great!

Shrimp or scallops would work, but I do not suggest using Chinese imported crawfish. No telling what is in the crawfish as they do not have strict EPA rules like we do and pollution is rampant in China.

I'm thinking lobster would work well too.Even though its gone up in price its still relatively affordable around here especially when you get it wholesale.

looks pretty tasty!
Thanks jim!

indaswamp indaswamp , I could definitely eat a bowl of that. :emoji_yum:

Chef JJ, shrimp will work. I do something very similar and I call them shrimp balls, but I deep fry them and spoon tomato gravy over them instead of the balls cooking in the gravy. All served over a bed of rice.
Thanks GS!

Dang you making me want to come to Louisiana! Always wanted to go. That looks great. I think I need to book a fishing trip.
Thanks Brain! Venice is the spot....I can recommend a guide.

That looks great!

I'm thinking lobster would work well too.Even though its gone up in price its still relatively affordable around here especially when you get it wholesale.
Thanks Norman! Lobster would be divine in this dish!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky