Couple of Smokes Over Past Few Months

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Well I have been smoking food but not necessarily posting about it or even taking pictures of it. Here are some pics of my latest Cured and Brined Turkey Thighs and an interesting approach taken with the Christmas Standing Rib Roast (prime rib).

These turkey thighs were on sale half off so I jumped on all 10 pounds they had. I cured and brined them the same way I do my state fair/disney land style turkey drums. I have gone over to the side of enjoying the thighs even more than the drums done this way :emoji_astonished:
Warning, screen licking turkey pics here hahaha. I drug out the cook and applied smoke for like 2.5 hours and finished the skin on a hot grill. I used mostly hickory pellets and mixed in the little bit of mesquite pellets that didn't fit in the AMNPS from my previous smoke. I never let pellets go to waste :)

Now on to my Christmas standing rib roast. Well I had this magical idea of trying to do a "crown roast" out of a standing rib roast. The issue was that the store only sold the standing ribs roasts in smaller sizes so I figured I would get creative with a pair of them hahaha.
My idea was to split them on the bone side about halfway down to get more seasoning and smoke on the meat between the bones AND also to be able fan the two roasts around to try and make the crown cut happen... well it got about half way there hahaha.
I smoked the standing rib roast 100% Lumberjack Mesquite pellets and WOW!!!!! Also I ran the smoker temp really low and got about 4 hours of smoke on roast before it hit an IT of 133F

What I ended up making though was something similar to the Flinstones drive in meal hahaha:

To eat the food we cut up the smoked standing rib roast into giant tomahawk like cuts and seared on the grill.. Here is my honking chunk with the bone removed and a pic of a fully plated meal of one of the guests. The stuffing and the brussel sprouts were amazing as well but I didn't make those.

Anyhow I just wanted to get this stuff posted to share with everyone and so people could see those amazing turkey thighs and the wild and crazy Flinstone "almost crown roast" I did for Christmas. Enjoy!!!

Yabba Dabba delicious Tall. Food looks great.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks guys! It was all fantastic eating :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky