Couple more CI pans redone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Had a couple garage sale finds that I finally took time to clean up and reseason. They were rusty and in poor shape, kinda looked like this waffle maker

20200510_103447.jpg

Actually gave that waffle maker away to a friend in repayment for sand blasting some cast for me.

20210315_220536.jpg

This is the piece he sandblasted for me. Too many grooves to do by hand!

20210315_220557.jpg

This is the second piece I did.

20210310_140210.jpg

After cleaning up both pieces were washed in soap and water then dried. Given a thin coat of grapeseed oil and baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 6 hours. Repeated the next day, thin coat of grapeseed oil and another trip through the oven.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ryan

Used angle grinder with wire brush to remove the majority of crud then finished up with sandpaper.

I've got my uncles #5 Griswold 724'F. probably 5 to 10 years older than I when they bought it new when he married my aunt. Inside is near perfect, outside is caked with crust. I've been thinking about sand/wire brushing it. Suppose I should? I've seen where they put ci in the self cleaning oven but ours says to take everything out before engaging the self clean cycle. Geeze those look great!

I've got my uncles #5 Griswold 724'F. probably 5 to 10 years older than I when they bought it new when he married my aunt. Inside is near perfect, outside is caked with crust. I've been thinking about sand/wire brushing it. Suppose I should? I've seen where they put ci in the self cleaning oven but ours says to take everything out before engaging the self clean cycle. Geeze those look great!
That's really up to you. We have CI that we use in the house and CI that we use while camping. If the inside is fine the outside doesn't really matter. Our camping cast is used over the open fire so the outside shows it's use, but the inside is where the magic happens.

Ryan

If you leave your racks in when you clean the oven it will almost ruin the racks, the plating gets hammered hard and has to be sanded/ buffed down before they want to slide again without making lots of noise,

Reactions: olecrosseyes
I've been thinking about sand/wire brushing it. Suppose I should? I've seen where they put ci in the self cleaning oven but ours says to take everything out before engaging the self clean cycle.
Try using oven cleaner on the crust, or better yet mix up a batch of sodium hydroxide and water and soak it for a day or two.

Ryan I have been using Grapeseed oil for a few years on my pans, I like to heat the pans on the stove til they smoke, then cool check to see if they are tacky.& repeat til they are done. Or finish in the grill weather permitting
Richie

Nice pans . Cleaned up real nice .
You don't have a problem with wire brushing causing rust ?

I cleaned my first couple of pieces of cast iron cookware with a wire brush, but today I wouldn't clean anything with possible collectible value that way. #5 Griswold included. And self cleaning ovens are considered bad news for cast iron among collectors.

I've cleaned a lot of pans with lye-based oven cleaner and elbow grease. Takes a while, but that will remove any grease-based crud and if there is any rust under it a putty knife with the corners rounded off will get it well enough. In the end though, I built an electrolysis tank which is 100% the easy way to go for rusty pans that don't have too much grease on them. If they have the caked on grease, I preclean them with lye.

'Course if you only have a pan or two to clean, the electrolysis tank is overkill. But go easy on that Griswold, folks get all excited about even the common ones and in my experience they have great cooking surfaces -- even the late ones.

I season with canola oil, it's cheap and works well. If anyone wants info on building an electrolysis tank or seasoning with canola oil just ask.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
If you leave your racks in when you clean the oven it will almost ruin the racks, the plating gets hammered hard and has to be sanded/ buffed down before they want to slide again without making lots of noise,

After using self clean on our newer oven, the repair guy said don't use it will fry the electronics...as he was replacing the electronics.

Nice looking pans, lots of elbow grease for that look. Except for your friend sandblasting some
Love my pan , use it almost daily, season it every time after
David
Thanks David! We love our CI pans, take care of them and they last forever.

Ryan I have been using Grapeseed oil for a few years on my pans, I like to heat the pans on the stove til they smoke, then cool check to see if they are tacky.& repeat til they are done. Or finish in the grill weather permitting
Richie
Thanks Richie! Grapeseed oil works good for me.

Nice pans . Cleaned up real nice .
You don't have a problem with wire brushing causing rust ?
Thank you! No issues with rust, if I'm done cleaning it up it goes directly into hot soapy water to get washed and dried then oiled and into the oven.

Ryan

Nice Iron! Cast Iron is my weakness as well. Last summer I made an electrolysis tank to redo a cast iron Hibachi, that works well also to clean the crap off.
Thank you! I've read about it but that's as far as I got with electrolysis.

I cleaned my first couple of pieces of cast iron cookware with a wire brush, but today I wouldn't clean anything with possible collectible value that way. #5 Griswold included. And self cleaning ovens are considered bad news for cast iron among collectors.

I've cleaned a lot of pans with lye-based oven cleaner and elbow grease. Takes a while, but that will remove any grease-based crud and if there is any rust under it a putty knife with the corners rounded off will get it well enough. In the end though, I built an electrolysis tank which is 100% the easy way to go for rusty pans that don't have too much grease on them. If they have the caked on grease, I preclean them with lye.

'Course if you only have a pan or two to clean, the electrolysis tank is overkill. But go easy on that Griswold, folks get all excited about even the common ones and in my experience they have great cooking surfaces -- even the late ones.

I season with canola oil, it's cheap and works well. If anyone wants info on building an electrolysis tank or seasoning with canola oil just ask.
Thanks, I appreciate it! I've thought about building an electrolysis tank also but don't use it often enough to decide I need one.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky