Couple Different Chili's On a Cool Weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Cool weekend around here a couple weeks ago and figured it was a perfect time to make some Chili. Been itching to try out some Texas style beef chili and wife wanted turkey chili so figured I would give it a go.

The beef chili was a recipe I had found online and made some adjustments to after speaking with some other forum members and what I thought sounded good.

2 lb chuck roast. Got some guajillo and arbol peppers soaking for about 45 minutes after a quick toast in a non stick pan. If I remember correctly I used 8 guajillo's and 10 arbols.
chili1.jpg

Cubed up the chuck roast and made the pepper puree. I destemmed the peppers and then sliced down the middle to remove the seeds and veins. They all went into the blender with a little of the water the peppers soaked in. Added a little more water each few pulses until it hit the consistency I wanted.
chili2.jpg

Sauteed half an onion and 1 1/2 tsp of minced garlic in the bottom of a stock pot with a little bit of olive oil. Once that hit where I wanted I dumped in 2 cups low sodium beef broth, 2 1/2 cups of the water the peppers soaked in, 2 tbsp. of masa harina, the chuck roast, and the chili puree. Bring to a boil and then reduce to almost a no simmer just a few bubbles hitting the surface. Stir occasionally for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Once you hit that add in 1 tbsp. light brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Let it go for another 15 minutes and you are good to eat. Here is the finished product.
chili4.jpg

Know this isn't Texas style serving but put some fritos in the bottom of a bowl, ladled the beef chili over the top, and then added on some sour cream and chives.
chili5.jpg

Only took one picture of the finished product of the turkey Chili.

2 lbs lean ground turkey
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can hot chili beans
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 onion
1 green bell pepper
1 jalapeno(If you like heat I would add 3-4 but had to tame this down for the fam)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp. of canned tomato sauce or tomato paste
1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
4 tbsp. chili powder(or add to taste)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground oregano

Dice and sauté the onion, green pepper, and jalapeno. One it becomes transparent add in the 2 lbs of ground turkey and cook until it has been browned all the way through. At this point add in as much salt and pepper as you would like to the turkey meat depending on your tastes. Add in the minced garlic and 2 tbsp. tomato sauce. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Put everything into a crock pot.

Add in the remaining ingredients, stir, and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir occasionally. I remove the crock pot lid with about 30 minutes to go to let the chili thicken up a little.
chili3.jpg

The flavors in that beef chili were unreal! Had a nice tingle but very flavorful and distinct. I could see using that paste in a lot of different dishes. I would high recommend trying it out. One suggestion would be to double the recipe as the cooks down quite a bit.

The turkey chili was also very good! I didn't tell anyone I had used turkey meat instead of ground beef and everyone loved it. If it was me eating it for the most part I would have added in 4 jalapeno's and probably some ancho chili powder. You can sub the chili beans for rinsed kidney beans and even add in a can or drained kernel corn as well.

Anyways thanks for checking it out. Stay safe out there!

John

Wow John...both of those look REALLY good!! I'll take 2 huge bows of the Texas chili, one huge bowl of the turkey version....and some corn bread please. Excellent job buddy. I've done a very similar chili as your Texas version and it takes a considerable amount of time and work. Well worth it in the end though. Great job my friend.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Looks delicious! Had to be tasty, especially in cool weather! We never have corn chips on hand so I'm usually stuck with crackers but I'd gladly go for a bowl of each.

Ryan

Yo!! I see a huge problem here. There is a beer in the first pic when you're just starting out but no more. What's up with that? You absolutely cannot do chili and only have one beer. You're gonna get a serious talking-to from the folks here about this faux pas.

Robert

Over the 4-5 hours all this was cooking and football on TV I had my fair share my friend don't you worry. Gotta keep my stamina up through monthly training as well.
w1F.gif

John those both look delicious!! That sauce made with the guajillo and Arbol can be used in many Mexican style dishes for sure. I love it. The turkey chili look out of this world good too.

Both look great. Gotta try Chili with Cornbread. We usually eat Chili and Toppings, by the bowl, over Rice or even Cincinnati Style, over Spaghetti. My recipe pretty much combines the two. Beef Chucks and Ground Beef. Only two of us like beans so an hour into the cook, I ladle off a couple of cups of the Chili Gravy into a pot of drained, canned Pinto or other, Beans and let that simmer until the beans are very tender and the gravy is thick...JJ

Oh man.........I'm with txsmoker txsmoker txsmoker txsmoker some cornbread and a good cold beer and I could tear up some of that chili!

Very much appreciate the tag Jim but you tagged the wrong person :emoji_wink: I have a space between tx and smoker. You tagged a newbie that hasn't been into the forum for quite a while. Not the first time this has happened though....

Robert

Wow, what a wonderful piece of work John, big Like! That beef chili with the Fritos and sour cream would really warm up the heart on a cold day, turkey looks great also, nice job! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky