• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Countertop air fryer/toaster oven with a grill function - worth adding to the outdoor kitchen?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

ingridhol95

Newbie
Joined
Oct 1, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
We're redoing the back patio and I keep going back and forth on adding a small countertop unit next to the smoker. The idea is to handle sides and apps — wings, roasted veggies, reheating — without firing up a second cooker while the smoker is already going.
I've been looking at the Cuisinart TOA-70BKS because it does air fry plus a grill function. This review was the most specific thing I found on how the grill side actually behaves: https://ratethepick.com/product/cuisinart-toa-70bks-air-fryer-toaster-oven-with-grill-review
Mostly I'm wondering whether the "grill" setting gets anywhere near real grates, or if I should just keep using the smoker and a cast iron pan. Anyone running something similar out on the patio? Does it survive the humidity out there, or does it rust out in a season or two?
 
Sometimes those appliances that are supposed to do so many different things do all the different functions OK, but none of the functions are done perfectly…

Just my 2cents FWIW…
 
We're redoing the back patio and I keep going back and forth on adding a small countertop unit next to the smoker. The idea is to handle sides and apps — wings, roasted veggies, reheating — without firing up a second cooker while the smoker is already going.
I've been looking at the Cuisinart TOA-70BKS because it does air fry plus a grill function. This review was the most specific thing I found on how the grill side actually behaves: https://ratethepick.com/product/cuisinart-toa-70bks-air-fryer-toaster-oven-with-grill-review
Mostly I'm wondering whether the "grill" setting gets anywhere near real grates, or if I should just keep using the smoker and a cast iron pan. Anyone running something similar out on the patio? Does it survive the humidity out there, or does it rust out in a season or two?
I had one of those a few years ago. Came highly reviewed and also well above the normal price of an "air fryer" which is what I was trying out, but figured since it was also a toaster oven etc etc it would be useful. Not so much for me. I tried a lot of different things in it that I would normally fire up the oven for and it just didn't make that huge of a difference. Wings, tater tots fries etc etc didn't live up to the hype. I never tried the grill function so I can't speak to that but all things considered, I would use a real grill for grilling and just about any other function it claims is better done else where. It's not that large inside and where you place the single rack and tray beneath it determines what function you should be using. It takes up a good bit of counter space in relation to it's not so large capacity. Be warned, the back side of that sucker gets HOT HOT HOT when in use. Gotta be careful about placement.

Also, I don't think it's an outdoor use item. Anyway, I'm not hating on it, but to me it just seemed to come up short every time I used it. IIRC, I paid somewhere near $200 for it so at that price for a high falutin' toaster oven you gotta be bringing more to the game. if it was mabye $75 on sale I'd probably still have it and still wouldn't see that much use.
 
I use the 360-air fryer we bought awhile back. The Emeril Lagasse (sp) one. I would only use it in clear weather. Or undercover if it's raining. With the top vents. I wouldn't want water getting in it.
There is this though.....
 
Last edited:
A toaster oven air fryer would be pretty handy, I use mine for almost all indoor meal cooking since it's only for two and it doesn't heat the house up as much as a full size oven. For your use case I would combine it with something like this for a small outdoor grill. Habachi A few charcoal briquettes and you are up and grilling. I made a lot of meals on one back in my college days.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky