Could use some help here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atlsteve

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I sure am happy to have found this site. I could use some help.

Help!!! I have many questions about smoking meat
I'm totally new to this.
I'm having a guys weekend and there is a pig smoker on the land. This is basically a cinder block 4 walled above ground box. its about waist high and the inside of the walls are lined with aluminum foil. I'd say it is about 4 ft high, 5ft wide, and 3-4 ft across.
It was explained to me that it is best to put a "handful" of charcoal in each of the 4 corners, let them get red hot, then put some soaked wood chips on top.
Sound right so far?
There is a grate recessed about 1-2 feet from the top where one could place a pig. I'd like to cook ribs and boston butt rather than a pig. There is some sheet metal that goes across the top of the pit. Also, there are two red bricks on either side which can be removed or rearranged to control the airflow into the pit.
I've done some reading and it looks like I should add a pan with some water(or beer…or apple juice) on the floor of the pit right under the meat. Also, it looks like I want to get the pit to about 250 degrees and then pull the meat once the temp of the meat reaches 190-195. Does this sound right?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks so much!!!

I would think that you would need more than a handful in each corner.That large of a pit should need alot more fuel.

But the charcoal in the 4 corners and the temps I've researched seem correct?

Am I thinking about this all wrong if I assume that I could put a lot of charcoal in the corners and then just regulate them via the 2 removable bricks by blocking the holes or opening them?

Thanks so much!

I would not think a handful of charcoal in each corner on that size of pit would be enough to cook anything placed in the middle. Could I ask where you are getting your information from? You may want to do some more research just to make sure. I think you might have recieved some bad advice. Every pit is differant, and requires differant techniqes but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Is there any way you could try a dry run before to test temps? I run about 6-8 pounds of charcoal in my UDS a 55 gallon drum smoker to do a butt or ribs and thats about perfect, that's why I ask.
icon_smile.gif
Also is there a vent in the cover to let the smoke flow? We'll get you on the right track, I'm sure someone on here has done a smoke like that.
icon_smile.gif

There are 2 pieces of sheet metal that go over the top of the pit. Should i leave a corner open to vent?

Also, someone else mentioned I should use the minion method with the coals. I read up on this and it seems like it would be a good idea. I can already tell I'll be needing much more charcoal than I thought.

Thanks!

First off welcome SMF Steve. You really need to stop into Roll Call and introduce your self. Now is the front of that somewhat smoker open??? I can see the pig and all but you said they put the charcoal in the corners. I have never seen or used one of theses so I'm not the best at this kind of smoking.

The pit is not open on any side but rather has 4 solid walls. The pit I'll be using has a differenent grate on the top that allows you to get charcoal inside. It has a grate made of rebar.

I didn't find anything on youtube but it may be because I don't know what to call it. The closest thing I've found to answering my question of how much charcoal is this picture I found on a google search.
Pit-1.jpg

Also, thanks for the welcome. I'm happy to have found this place and I'm excited to take part in a fine tradition such as this.

Ok 've researched this myself. Go on to youtube and type in pig roast how to,the first one that comes up is 11 vidieos with a block pit like yours. Hope this helps if not write me I'll see what else I can find you. I've seen this done somewhere else on the web and that dude was cooking for 20 -24 hrs. so watch the beer intake as much as your thermomiter. LOL.

One thing I remember reading around here is your firebox being 1/3 the size of your cooking chamber, hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky