cottonwood for smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck1676

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Crest Hill, IL
Had anyone ever used Cottonwood in their smoker? I just picked up a load for the fire pit, but wasn't sure about using it in the smoker. What do ya think?

Yeah I wasn't sure about it. Its real green so I figured ask the experts. straight to the burn pile for it then. Thanks

I don't even use it for camp fires. Like jeoburg said, "it stinks"~to me it smells like someone pee'd in a fire (I'm a veteran Scouter~I know these things). Just imagine what your food would taste like!

I don't even use it for camp fires. Like jeoburg said, "it stinks"~to me it smells like someone pee'd in a fire (I'm a veteran Scouter~I know these things). Just imagine what your food would taste like!
the fact that that smell is burnt into your memory is disturbing....lol. it mustve been bad. lol. funny but bad.

I wish it was good to burn. I would never have to buy wood chunks again . my cottonwood tree is a monster. By far the biggest tree in town.

For what it is worth, cottonwood also takes a long time to dry (up to two years) and will sometimes rot before it dries. Smell isn't quite so bad when fully dried.

the fact that that smell is burnt into your memory is disturbing....lol. it mustve been bad. lol. funny but bad.
With about 17 years as a Scoutmaster under my belt, that means a lot of overnight and summer camps with a lot of new Scouts getting the ol' double dog dare ya to pee in the fire" from the older scouts.

Not only can you not cook with it, never use it for lashing anything. It like weeping willow and bends terribly. It is funny to watch a new patrol lash a rope bridge with it. The bark does strip off nicely though if you need to tie something in primative form.

Could be a variety issue. As was stated somewhere above, it can take a long time to cure. (Not so much here, where triple digit temps + single digit relative humidities happen.) It can smell like cat piss when not cured, but when cured it is very mild. It's like night and day between cured and not cured. I've never used it in a smoker, but I've used very well cured cotton wood for open flame cooking with great results. It can also be a PITA to split, but splitting it will help it cure faster. FYI, I have a cottonwood forest behind my house, which explains why I've burned a lot of it. When properly cured and split into smallish pieces, it will burn very hot and fast and leave a fairly small amount of coals. Big chunks tend to smolder for a while, especially when not quite cured. I've heard that well cured cottonwood is good for fish, but I've obviously not tried it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky