Costco bellies.... THANKS for the lead on that..... Dry brined bacon Aug. 2015... 8/23 money update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have got all my bellies at Costco and they have been great. They also carry plenty in stock and usually right at 9 - 10lbs. This morning pick up a bellie from local butcher and looks great plus no skin! Going to do my step by step here shortly.

Dave, thanks for the tutorial. I just pulled some bellies out of the cure to rest and built a cardboard cold smoker today. I only have limited time to smoke over the next week so I'm planning to give the belly about 6 hours per day of cold smoke and letting it rest in the fridge in between. This being my first true cold smoke for bacon I'm going to shoot for 18 hours of smoke.

Cool....   I'm in.....    be sure to warm the bellies before adding smoke...   You never want to smoke cold food...  (quote from nepas)....

Cool....   I'm in.....    be sure to warm the bellies before adding smoke...   You never want to smoke cold food...  (quote from nepas)....
Hmmm, I never warm mine and it's never been a problem, just saying...
I find condensate forms on cold meat...   I'm just posting what G-d's son, nepas posted...   makes sense to me...

I could warm it up in the oven or take it out of the fridge and let it set on the counter until it warms (would take a few hours to bring the IT up to 70 just because its alot cooler here) **edited because using my traeger would defeat the purpose**

Do you see any reason not to warm it with the oven? I would place it in the cold smoker when it reached around 65F IT in case there is any carryover.

Its raining today so I wont get any smoke on this morning :/ at least the next few days ought to be nicer. I have more time to read up now at least.

Last edited:
I could warm it up in the oven or take it out of the fridge and let it set on the counter until it warms (would take a few hours to bring the IT up to 70 just because its alot cooler here) **edited because using my traeger would defeat the purpose**

Do you see any reason not to warm it with the oven? I would place it in the cold smoker when it reached around 65F IT in case there is any carryover.

Its raining today so I wont get any smoke on this morning :/ at least the next few days ought to be nicer. I have more time to read up now at least.
Warm to close to smoker temp is all that's necessary to eliminate condensate...  a couple hours on a wire rack on an hour on a wire rack with a fan blowing on it to form a pellicle will do...   The pellicle is a necessary thing to do....

Thanks Dave, My current plan is on the first smoke day to take it out and allow it to warm up and form the pellicle (convection oven with the fan on) smoke for 6-8 hours. Put the belly back in the fridge to rest overnight. Day 2 back in the oven to warm, then smoke again for 6-8 hours and then back in the fridge to rest overnight. Day 3 back in the oven to warm and then smoke for the last bout of 6-8 hours. Then in the fridge to rest for a few days before slicing, bagging and vac sealing.

Warm to close to smoker temp is all that's necessary to eliminate condensate...  a couple hours on a wire rack on an hour on a wire rack with a fan blowing on it to form a pellicle will do...   The pellicle is a necessary thing to do....

Last edited:
That should work....  don't get the belly too warm or the fat will start to melt..  do you have a proofing oven for bread ??  an hour or 2 should do...

I have proofed bread and dough in it quite a few times. I just pop a digital thermometer in to keep an eye on the ambient temperature while it proofs. I always keep it at the lowest heat setting and can keep the fan on only fortunately.
That should work....  don't get the belly too warm or the fat will start to melt..  do you have a proofing oven for bread ??  an hour or 2 should do...

I let the bellies rest and warm up to form the pellicle. I got 7.5 hours of smoke, temp was 84-86 inside the cardboard box. The AMNPS is a rockstar once I propped it up underneath for more airflow.

I was using a rib rack to hold the bellies upright in the smoker and thats why they are drooping some. I think I'm going to cut two more holes and put more dowel rods in to let them rest on some cookie racks.

They are in the fridge, unwrapped, to rest overnight. Thoughts on the color? Does it look pretty typical for that length of smoke?

I don't think I will get any smoke on it tomorrow. We've got friends coming with a bunch of young kids around so I can't do it safely. Maybe Sunday if the weather holds.

As the representation shows, cold smoke penetrates the meat rather than collecting more on the surface..   Sooooo, the color is deceiving....  BUT...  the flavor is still there....  You can let the belly smoke overnight....  just a thought...  that's what I do.....

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,
I thought about it but at one point the wind was getting enough draft into the AMNPS that it ignited the pellets and i had a wee fire in the box. I have to get up at 0400 to get a brisket started so I may pop it back on then. The temp is going to drop to 58 tonight so we'll see.

Pipeline,

When I cold smoke bacon, I slide them into brown paper lunch bags. The bags allow them to breathe
absorb moisture. Then into the refer for a rest. You may have to change bags as the bacon dries out.
I'll cold smoke 4-6 hours a session over a few days until it gets the right amount of color.

You may want to try a local Mexican or Asian market, they usually have belly or can obtain it.

Good Luck!

RG

She who must be obeyed says the flavor is right on the money. I really like the curing and aging part. Its much easier than using the traeger. I've got a ton of projects started for cold smoking and aging now. I'm running out of room haha.

I picked up the four pork bellies I ordered for $1.27/lb from the commisary. Got two curing and I'll get the others started tomorrow. I'm hoping to have the smokehouse ordered and cured before they are ready to be smoked. Fun times!

Looks MY-T-FINE to me....  

How did you like the flavor ??  I think "open" curing and aging adds flavor like you would to a dry aged steak...   Really a good depth of flavor.....

icon14.gif
.....  Good price on the bellies...  I just paid $2.79 or something like that at Costco....   I'm glad SWMBO liked it.... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky