cost to process a pig?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roger shoaf

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I was wondering what I could expect to pay to get a pig processed?

By this if I purchased a live pig and had it slaughtered, cut and wrapped what are the costs involved?

Also what are the options such as different ways to get the pig cut up.

Is there any preference as to the age or sex of the pig?  

Any pointers on pre-slaughter diet to improve meat quality?

Roger, you didn't say where you are and I'm sure cost varies with location. Your best bet is to look for a local processor and ask them your questions. Usually they will cut it any way you want it. Some of the local ones here offer curing and smoking of hams and bellies as well as sausage however you want it.

I haven't had one done in so many years I couldn't help with even a guess about cost.

Chuck

That is too hard to tell. Google meat processors in your area and contact for estimates. Prices vary by service. I have seen cut and wrap for $.45/lb, add for Vac Pac, Sausage, Cured Smoked Hams and Bacon. Best value is to take everything and process the custom items yourself. Make your own Sausage, Head Cheese, Hams, Bacon and so forth...JJ

Roger,

As others have said, there are a lot of variables in answering your question. I'll give you my experience if it helps. Our local pig farmer charges us around $40-60 to slaughter, clean and cut our pig anyway we want. That is Connecticut, USA prices when we buy the pig from him. I don't know if it would be more if we brought in a pig from somewhere else but I suspect it would be about the same price.

After having done that ourselves in younger years, that is a heck of a good deal! The hair removal process on a pig is the hardest task to me. TennSmoker posted a great photo description recently of the process at http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...laghtering-in-tennessee-w-q-views#post_920940 if you want to see what it entails.

But others are correct when they suggest you shop some prices in your area. Good luck!

Jim

Around here, there is a slaughter fee ($75 for a cow and delivered to the cut and wrap facility), $0.75 cut and wrap (based on hanging weight of slaughtered animal), Cost of the animal (based on hanging weight)....  The typical animal at 21 months (from my neighbor) weighs in at 800-900 #'s hanging weight.....  

As others have said, it's an impossible question to answer because there are so many variables, not to mention the fact that the price is going to vary from one butcher to another.
Many have a ballpark price for general cutting and wrapping, plus the pick-up charge if you don't have a way to get the oinker to the slaughter house.
If you want sausage, bacon or ham made, there will definitely be an extra charge.
There may also be a price difference in vacuum packed vs. wrapped in butcher paper.
Alternately, you could have the butcher dispatch, dehair and split it, and you haul the halves home and do all the finish work yourself. That's the best route to go, IMHO.

A pig can be butchered at any age, but generally, they're butchered at about 230 lbs., 200 lbs. of gain starting with a 30 lb. feeder pig, around here anyway.

Commercial pigs are fed cheap crappy feed. For the best quality pork, you'll want to feed a feed that's low in PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids), PUFAs produce soft crappy fat and poor quality pork!
Of course genetics plays just as big a roll, avoid commercial genetics at all costs, if you can, look for some Berkshires and the like.

HTH

~Martin

Last edited:
OK thanks for the ball park ideas.

I see several offers. 1 for a 9 month Berkshire for $425 and another a kids 4H project for $400 (a 300# York ) and then an offer for an unknown breed described only as "full grown and small farm raised" for $250 whole or $130 for half.

The Berkshire also gives you a choice between a gilt and a barrow, the unknown claims the pig had dined on figs pomegranates and commercial feed.

Those are the most out of whack numbers I ever heard: How much does it cost to butcher a pig?
Hi there and welcome!

I'm not sure anyone who was originally on this thread will answer, it was last updated in 2013, but I'll play :)

I've never dealt with a farm raised pig.  I've only dealt with feral hogs so that is the best info I can give you is in that regard.

A game processor in the TX areas I know if will charge approximately $60-75 or in that range to skin, cut steaks/roasts, do any straight grind, and package for you which seems to be vac seals more often than not from what I see these days.

I have never met a game processor that will scald/scrape or otherwise de-hair a pig so I cannot comment there.

If you want sausages, jerky, or any specially prepared cuts they will charge various prices which are usually $3.50 a pound or greater.

Additionally they may say "we must add 'fat' to your sausage" which translates into them buying meat from the store and grinding it/combining it with your meat.  To me this is a bit of a racket to make more money off of you when all they need to do is buy straight fat to "add fat".

I think it is a bit funny to get charged a "kill fee" if you have the means to go and shoot the animal yourself.  I have killed many feral hogs hunting and had no problem in this department.

If needing to kill a farm raised pig I personally would use a rifle that had a round with an all copper bullet just to ensure there was no lead spread into the animal I'm buying.

I've heard of a number of people reporting that they kill pigs with a 22 long rifle about 2 inches way from the pigs temple, eye, or ear area.  This would save the "kill fee" if that is all it is being charged for lol.

Now I would totally pay the "kill fee" if it meant they also de-haired the pig. 

As for cost of the pig, again I have only dealt with feral hogs/pigs so I personally would start with the least expensive, decently raised/treated pig and go from there.  The ones I shoot and eat are living the hard wild-life working every day to get a meal and they eat whatever they find.  So provided that the farm raised pig wasn't just fed pure junk, I don't think it could be any worse then a feral pig that eats whatever it can find.

I personally process all my own animals so I have the equipment to grind, stuff, vac seal, etc.  If I could get the animal deboned into the roasts, whole cuts (backstrap, tenderloin, ribs, belly, shanks, etc.), excess fat (yes keep it for sausage making), and finally the scrap meat (used for grind or stew) as all part of the "kill fee" I would take it from there.  

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
 I am raising a few pigs, We have berk lacombe cross right now we bought as new feeders at about 30-50lbs. Now I set up for this last year and we figured on avg $320.00 was the cost of purchasing and feed to bring them to 280-300lb slaughter wt. Bressed was around the 200lb mark. We do all our own butchering sausage etc. The Guy I buy them from usually sells them for 450 at 280-300lb. Then butchering on top, It all depends on what you want for cuts. This is also in Alberta Canada. Not sure how close that is to where you are. 

There may also be a price difference in vacuum packed vs. wrapped in butcher paper.
Alternately, you could have the butcher dispatch, dehair and split it, and you haul the halves home and do all the finish work yourself. That's the best route to go, IMHO A pig can be butchered at any age, but generally, they're butchered at about 230 lbs., 200 lbs. of gain starting with a 30 lb. feeder pig, around here anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a number of large hog producers around here, and I can get great deals from them on smaller pigs that have anatomic abnormalities that preclude mechanized processing (hernias, prolapsed rectums etc). It’s the bees knees when you want to do a whole hog, because you can often get a 200# live weight hog for less than 2/3 market. There are a couple of butchers here that will kill, scald, scrape and hang the pig for $40-50 if you deliver it to them live.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky