1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cornish Game Hens

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by wh42, Oct 11, 2018.

1. wh42

wh42 Newbie

NY
    After seeing Al's post about game hens I got to really craving some since its been years since the last time I had some. Decided to smoke a couple off for my two daughters and myself, stuffed with stuffing and apples. I didn't get a lot of pictures because they were helping, they're 6 and 4 so I have to help along the way. Anyway, on to the pictures and such!

First, I brined them for 5 hours in Pops brine with the addition of garlic, pepper, and thyme:
    20181009_110343.jpg

Proceeded to rinse them, pat them dry and let them rest in the refrigerator for a couple hours before stuffing them and seasoning them with a mixture of Montreal Chicken Seasoning and an Applewood seasoning. Got the smoker heated up to 275 with some chunks of applewood, smoked them for 2 hours before dropping the temperature to 225 for the last 45 minutes. The result:
    20181009_173351.jpg

Two very juicy and flavorful hens.

The girls also helped me make some Italian Herb and Cheese dinner rolls, which they absolutely devoured at dinner:
    20181009_142633.jpg

My oldest is still talking about how great this dinner was and how much she loves my cooking. I was very pleased with how these turned out as I haven't done whole chickens or anything and I wanted to make sure to get a test run done before Thanksgiving comes and I smoke off the Turkey for it.

2. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

Congratulations on being an awesome dad! The Cornish hens look great! Good job! Keeep on smoking!

3. wh42

wh42 Newbie

NY
    My girls are my world for sure! I'm involved in every aspect of their lives, vice president of the Board of Directors for their school, president of the PTO, I do activities in their classes to get all the kids into cooking and baking, it's a blast.

I've been working on upping my smoking game as well, thinking on building an offset smoker since I do have welding experience. If there's food involved, I'm all for it, being a chef with 18 years experience and all hah.