corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
did anyone ever use chuck roast or bottom round to make corned beef instead of brisket,also i see in old threads people using pop's brine,with 2 tbsp of pickling spice,added,just wondering if you would add more or less or leave it at 2 tblsp,never did a corned beef from scratch before.figured i would give it a shot any info would be great. thanks

When I worked for a commercial meat processor we made corned beef from brisket, bottom rounds, and eye of the round. The only reason brisket was used originally was because it was a rejected cut because it was cheap and tough. Sorry.

The Aussies use something called a silverside for their "corned beef".

Best I can tell that is bottom round?

Makes sense because that would be a lean cut.

Corned beef is really a generic term referring to cured beef/salted beef.

Of course, here we think of "corned beef" as the brisket.

Good luck and good smoking.

ok thanks, i will experiment with a chuck and bottom roast will let you know how it turns out.    

just an update,soaked a 3lb chuck roast in pop's brine with 2table spoons pickling spice for 12 days,put in crock pot yesterday,came out awesome,having ruebons today.just posting this in case some one was interested in trying to make their own  corned beef with the chuck roast.sorry no pictures i don't have the cameras to do it.i know i'll probably hear about it. thanks

Just be sure to use pink salt in the brine. If you don't use pink salt or brine the meat long enough, the meat will be gray. I have corned other cuts of meat but brisket is the best. Use a flat brisket, this way the cure will get through the meat equally.  I also add a couple more days to the brine process to insure the brine get through the meat. If you have a gray spot in the middle of the meat, it wasn't in the brine long enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky