Corned Beef lessons

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
So I ended up smoking the point I was going to use for corned beef which I glad I did as it turned out to be one of the best I have done. I used a chuck. I did a 2 week cure and 1 week would of been plenty. The pickling spices where a bit to strong. I will do dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 sous vide method of 180 for 10 hours next time. Went 2 days at 155 to 135 to 140. The texture was really OK but the flavor just not as good as flats I have done. I usually use left over broth to make 15 bean soup. May still work since will be added a lot of water? Sauteed cabbage was good as was low carb roasted glazed carrots.

20210311_141558.jpg 20210313_155941.jpg

Myself.. I've done 2 SV cooks.. to tell you the truth... I've not really been impressed with the results (as far as flavor goes)... sure, tenderness is there but lacking flavor ...

Myself.. I've done 2 SV cooks.. to tell you the truth... I've not really been impressed with the results (as far as flavor goes)... sure, tenderness is there but lacking flavor ...
The best thing on it for me is the 50 hour 135 chuck prime rib. I was impressed with Jeff's thighs though. They will make a come back.

I have found that if you make pastrami with the cured brisket. Then the best way we have found is to smoke it to an IT of 150, then bag it & SV for 24 hours at 155 degrees.

Reactions: Bearcarver
THANKS for posting. I think this is one of these things that you have to find out for yourself. One guy might like 135F for 48hrs and another 10hrs 180F. I have not done any hot runs yet so jury is still out.

WRT flavor. SV fanboys seems to disregard seasoning. Some claim it seasons while it cooks. My experience is that SV does not help flavor at all and in fact long SV times suck the flavor out. I am still injecting or dry brining to get the results I want.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky