Corn Starch Chicken Wings - Rub Won’t Stick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

In an attempt to get a crispier skin on chicken wings, I tried adding some corn starch to help dry them out. Unfortunately, after putting some corn starch on them, the rub would not really stick.

How do you go about this? What am I doing wrong?

Process I followed:
1) dry the wings with a paper towel
2) lay them on a rack
3) sprinkle corn starch on the wings
4) then tried to sprinkle rub on the wings
5) then went into the fridge for a couple of hours

The skin wouldn’t really allow any rub to adhere. I tried to put the rub on, right after the corn starch so it is not like the wings sat with corn starch for long before the rub went on.

Give them a spray of PAM or similar product. The rub will stick and the veg oil will help them crisp. Another option for crispy wings, next round, skip the cornstarch and sprinkle on 1 teaspoon Baking POWDER, for every pound of wings, along with your regular Rub. Works really well...JJ

I like to use a pump up oil mister with either grapeseed oil or peanut oil in it.

1630473593809.png
1630473733756.png
1630473866628.png
Anything like these will work as long as it will mist oil.

I agree with forktender forktender these type of sprayers are nice and can be filled with the real thing. Most non stick sprays are emulsified solutions of a certain type of oil.

Reactions: forktender
it is not like the wings sat with corn starch for long before the rub went on.
Applied and allowed to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or so can help in my opinion . Starts to tack up as the moisture leaches out of the chicken . Gives you a sticky surface to put your rub on .
I save the cornstarch for frying myself .

Another option for crispy wings, next round, skip the cornstarch and sprinkle on 1 teaspoon Baking POWDER,
Yup powder , not soda . People can get that confused , but the baking powder changes the PH of the skin .
I do most of my wings on a sheet pan in my gas grill .
Baking powder , salt and pepper only .
20180720_182513.jpg
20190704_190125.jpg
20180720_190629.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
For crispy wings. I just fire up the kettle/Vortex combo and let her rip. Then if I want some added flavor I just toss the finished wings in either teriyaki sauce or a Franks-n-butter mixture. Personally I've found the high heat of the Vortex kinda burns the seasoning.

Chris

Appreciate all of the feedback and help, eveyeone

Give them a spray of PAM or similar product. The rub will stick and the veg oil will help them crisp. Another option for crispy wings, next round, skip the cornstarch and sprinkle on 1 teaspoon Baking POWDER, for every pound of wings, along with your regular Rub. Works really well...JJ

Thank you. After applying the corn starch or baking powder, I would have assumed that adding oil or some other liquid would work against you? So it doesn’t defeat the purpose of trying to dry the skin?

Do you apply the baking powder, then spray, and then add the rub?

Any issues with the rub being on the wings, in the fridge overnight?

I like to use a pump up oil mister with either grapeseed oil or peanut oil in it.

View attachment 509443View attachment 509444View attachment 509445
Anything like these will work as long as it will mist oil.

Thank you. Same questions to you, that I noted to Chef Jimmy above. How do you go about it?

Applied and allowed to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or so can help in my opinion . Starts to tack up as the moisture leaches out of the chicken . Gives you a sticky surface to put your rub on .
I save the cornstarch for frying myself .

Yup powder , not soda . People can get that confused , but the baking powder changes the PH of the skin .
I do most of my wings on a sheet pan in my gas grill .
Baking powder , salt and pepper only .
View attachment 509447
View attachment 509449
View attachment 509448

Thank you. So your approach is to apply the baking powder or corn starch, then sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so, and then apply the rub (no added oil)?

Thank you. So your approach is to apply the baking powder or corn starch, then sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so, and then apply the rub (no added oil)?
I don't spray oil over the powder . Not saying it doesn't work , and I do at times use spray cooking oil depending on what I'm trying to do .
A rest in the fridge after putting the baking powder on should give you a tacky surface . I'm cooking hot and fast . If you're smoking at lower temps the baking powder should help the skin .

I've found the high heat of the Vortex kinda burns the seasoning.
This is one reason I use salt and pepper . I'm not using a Vortex , but high heat and sugar in the rub can be trouble .

It is somewhat a well known secret that many foods are better twice cooked. Fries and wings are the classics. Smoke until desired IT, chill a few days, and sear on a hot grill. Pellicle, baking soda, etc are decent hacks but do not compete with twice cooked. I actually like the rub getting kinda burnt on the grill but if not you can rub/sauce AFTER the grill like they do buffalo wings.

All of the above also works well for home made fries. After a starch wash, drying them off, applying some baking powder/corn starch then a little peanut oil, or your favorite and seasoning all makes for very tasty taters....

I've tried many of these tricks and I've tried them several dozens of times. IMO the best way I get crispy skin (or as close as I can get to what I want) is to dry the chicken skin and dust a little salt on the skin, put it back in the fridge for 2 to 12 hours (longer the better) then cook it at a high heat. I've tried starch on several occasion with mixed results. The dry brine method seems to work pretty well but hot & fast seems to be a must for the crispy skin. Now I just shoot for edible skin.

Other than that I think you'd have to use some hot grease? I haven't tried in the air fryer yet but that's next.

Thank you. After applying the corn starch or baking powder, I would have assumed that adding oil or some other liquid would work against you? So it doesn’t defeat the purpose of trying to dry the skin?

Do you apply the baking powder, then spray, and then add the rub?

Any issues with the rub being on the wings, in the fridge overnight?

I don't use Cornstarch. I suggested the spray oil for this situation to get your Rub to stick. I have sprayed my Rubbed Turkey with Oil that were roasted at 350°F with good result.

BEST method is, Pat your wings Dry with paper towel. Place the wings in a bowl and season. S&P, SPOG,anything Without Sugar. Toss well to coat. Lay the wing out on a Cooling Rack, place on a Sheet Pan and refer overnight to Dry the Skin. Next day Smoke as desired at 425°F, until Crispy.

GOOD Method. If lacking time to refer dry the wings overnight or making too may to store...Pat your Wings dry with Paper Towel. Place the wings in a bowl, add your Sugar Free Seasoning of choice combined with 1 teaspoon Baking Powder per pound of wings. Toss well. Spread the wings out on a Cooling Racks over a Sheet Pan. Dry the wings with a Fan for 30 but no more than 60 minutes, turning about every 15 minutes. IMMEDIATELY Smoke as desired at 425°F until done.

With both methods No Cornstarch or Oil is used. You rely on Drying the Skin or Raising the pH to get Crisp Skin.
Another option, depending on your Smoker or desired amount of Smoke Flavor, is to Smoke at 225°F for an hour or more than Crisp the Wings at 425°F in the Smoker or Oven. You can also Crisp them on a Hot Grill, turning frequently to avoid burning.

No issue having the Rub on overnight. In fact you Benefit from having the rub on overnight. The Salt Dry Brines the Wings helping them stay Juicy, makes them more tender and the wings are all flavored up, Dry and ready to Smoke...JJ

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky