Coq au Vine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BenCarlson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
Was rereading Marianski in my free time with the missus working in NYC for half the week now, and he inspired me to come up with my "own" sausage recipe.

So I got to rummaging in the freezer and saw some ringneck pleasant breasts and thighs, which we eat a lot of because it's pretty easy to round up a pile of them with a birddog and the hunting area a few miles down the road. I thought of the dish Coq au Vine and set to work on my "Coq au Vine sausage".

I just googled a recipe and took as many things from the dish and applied it to sausage ingredients. Garlic, onion, thyme and Burgundy wine. It actually came out better than expected!

We always have "Date Night" on Fridays, which is especially important with her being away from Central PA so much these days. She wanted vodka penne and it paired delightfully with the pheasant sausage.

The never let them have people food but I figured a small bite would convey my appreciation for helping bag enough birds to make them into a sausage. Jax and Arya thought it was tasty, that is if they even tasted it!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20210729_175601.jpg
    20210729_175601.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210730_174340.jpg
    20210730_174340.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210730_174605.jpg
    20210730_174605.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210302_080735.jpg
    20210302_080735.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 29
Great food and idea ! Great looking dogs as well . Used to go to Iowa and hunt over GSP's . Didn't own any but helped train them . That's my kind of hunt .
Marianski is a great source of reference .

Reactions: BenCarlson
That sausage sounds delicious especially paired with vodka penne!

Love the pups too! I have owned two so far in my life. The one in my avatar is Maverick but sadly, I lost him last June to DCM, he was only 4.

And now there’s Enzo, he’s 6 months and a ball of terror!
C6DA91EA-ECEA-41BC-91C9-CD4D263FF881.jpeg

Hi Ben I am just getting into fresh sausages. Can I ask what process you did to cook yours, Just stuff and fry , or par simmer etc
Thanks in advance

David

Hello, David! You'll find everything you need on your sausage making journey right here on this forum. I'd also recommend picking up Stanley Marianski's book on Sausage making, the inspiration for this sausage!

I cooked them in the sous vide and then finished them in a pan with some butter.

Reactions: chopsaw
That sausage sounds delicious especially paired with vodka penne!

Love the pups too! I have owned two so far in my life. The one in my avatar is Maverick but sadly, I lost him last June to DCM, he was only 4.

And now there’s Enzo, he’s 6 months and a ball of terror!
View attachment 506134

Terribly sorry to hear about Maverick. Sucks. Your Enzo would get along extremely well with my Arya! She's less than a year and already a highly accomplished trouble maker! Gonna be a nice hunter though. No breed like em!

Hello, David! You'll find everything you need on your sausage making journey right here on this forum. I'd also recommend picking up Stanley Marianski's book on Sausage making, the inspiration for this sausage!

I cooked them in the sous vide and then finished them in a pan with some butter.
Thanks Ben, was wondering as you had not mentioned about smoking or hanging,
will have to see if I can find the book , and yes everyone is more than helpful here. Makes it that much more easy when you know that there is a wealth of help right at your finger tips

David

Very cool, Ben! To me that's the best part of making sausage, tweaking recipes to make them your own, or in your case coming up with a complete sausage of your own.
The dogs are saying "See, we're being good. Can we have another bite?"

Reactions: BenCarlson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky