Cool down period, proper technique?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huongtranbong

Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
My question is about proper technique for cool down. I understand the why, it’s the how that I am asking about. Is it our goal to incubate so there’s no heat loss and to continue the carry over. Is our goal to immediately start cooling to get the carry over in check and not allow to much temperature climb. Is it different between types of meat or same technique every time. I understand the larger sizes of what ever it is were cooking is going to store more heat so time is obviously a factor as well. I would just like to be able to deliver proper color and cook temps and I am now understanding that it’s not just pit time that determines the result of the cook. Sorry For the rookie question. I just want to get better.

Others will chime in for me it's not a direct purpose but something to take into account for finished product. 3 pound prime rib roast desired 130 med rare. Pull maybe 127 or 128. 9 pounder pull maybe 125 or 126 to finish at 130 IT. Wrap heavy for more carry over or just single layer of foil for less or wrap according to how long till I serve it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky