Cool down period, proper technique?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dcecil

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Clovis Ca
My question is about proper technique for cool down. I understand the why, it’s the how that I am asking about. Is it our goal to incubate so there’s no heat loss and to continue the carry over. Is our goal to immediately start cooling to get the carry over in check and not allow to much temperature climb. Is it different between types of meat or same technique every time. I understand the larger sizes of what ever it is were cooking is going to store more heat so time is obviously a factor as well. I would just like to be able to deliver proper color and cook temps and I am now understanding that it’s not just pit time that determines the result of the cook. Sorry For the rookie question. I just want to get better.

Depending on your pit temp & the size of the meat, the carryover cooking can be just a couple of degrees, or up to 7 or 8 degrees in about 20-30 minutes. The best way to figure it out is to leave a probe in the meat during the rest. I have done it so many times that I don't need to do that anymore, but that's how I learned. For instance I cook a pork loin at 250 & pull it off the smoker at an IT of 138, in about 20 minutes of sitting on the counter the IT will rise to 145. Now if it only makes it to 143, I'm not going to worry about it, but I don't want it to go any higher. Now something big like a pork butt, may rise 15 degrees, especially if you have it in foil & in a cooler covered in towels. I don't do that. I have left a butt sit on the counter with a foil tent for 2 hours & it was still just barley cool enough to pull by hand. Which by the way is how I pull all my pork. We like big chunks & I like to be able to pick out any pieces of un-rendered fat. But now I'm getting off track. Sorry!
Anyhow, I hope this helps!
Al

Depending on your pit temp & the size of the meat, the carryover cooking can be just a couple of degrees, or up to 7 or 8 degrees in about 20-30 minutes. The best way to figure it out is to leave a probe in the meat during the rest. I have done it so many times that I don't need to do that anymore, but that's how I learned. For instance I cook a pork loin at 250 & pull it off the smoker at an IT of 138, in about 20 minutes of sitting on the counter the IT will rise to 145. Now if it only makes it to 143, I'm not going to worry about it, but I don't want it to go any higher. Now something big like a pork butt, may rise 15 degrees, especially if you have it in foil & in a cooler covered in towels. I don't do that. I have left a butt sit on the counter with a foil tent for 2 hours & it was still just barley cool enough to pull by hand. Which by the way is how I pull all my pork. We like big chunks & I like to be able to pick out any pieces of un-rendered fat. But now I'm getting off track. Sorry!
Anyhow, I hope this helps!
Al
Thanks Al, that makes since.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky