Cooking Some Ribs, Have A Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Suffolk, VA
Hello All,
New here, hopefully I'm posting in the right place, please let me know if I'm not. I'm going to smoke ribs for the big weekend, but the only ribs that were on sale were some monster racks that weigh 4.5 lbs each. I'm fully aware of the 3-2-1 method, but I believe that that's for 3.5 and down spareribs. How much more time is needed with racks this size to get them tender and decent to eat? Does the method become 4-3-2? Just looking see how somebody else has dealt with 4 and ups before I serve up shoe leather with bones in it. Thanks in advance!
Best,
Adam.

There are some recent threads where the "numbered" ribs were discussed. I have no issues with a wrapped step, but I don't base my wrapping decision on time or internal temperature, and I also don't base the time in the wrap on a pre-determined time (which is the second digit in the "numbered" rib recipes.

Somewhere between 2 and 3 hours of pit time, I size up the color and will poke them for tenderness. This is the color I want before wrapping,
WZ1XXwV.jpg
Since you have the full un-trimmed slabs I could see 3.5 hours to 4 hours of pit time before wrapping.

Look up the method by SmokinAl ... many have successfully used.

And the thickness of the full spareribs should be the same as trimmed, so I don’t think the time will vary much.

But third eye is correct, time and temp best as a guide Or interim triggers ... probing or the bend test more reliable to judge finish.

Reactions: JC in GB
I just did 6 racks of these this past weekend. Used a variation of the 3-2-1 on them. First off I would recommend trimming them into spares. Just a suggestion. You can smoke the trimmings separately if you like and have a little chef's snack if you will
Ribs29.jpg

Wrap in butcher paper at the 3 hour mark.
Ribs35.jpg

Hour 5 they were close. Unwrapped and toss back in the smoker with a little sauce. A tad under 6 hours they were all sitting about 195.
Ribs38.jpg

Just my method when it comes to the full spares or the STL's. Hope it helps!

Man, those are some fine looking ribs, you're making me hungry! Thanks for the advice fellas, much appreciated.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I dont wrap I run them at 250 till done to about 195-200 and bend test/tender to liking.

I dont wrap I run them at 250 till done to about 195-200 and bend test/tender to liking.
I've done the same and they've come out really good, was looking to try the 3-2-1 method to see how it works.

Yeah, not a fan of 3-2-1 if that's your only measure. Have been both FOTB and underdone at different times. Probing and/or bend test needed, and that likely compensates adequately.
YMWV ... Your Mileage WILL Vary.

I agree with third eye. I wrap according to look, not time. I never used to wrap ribs but started with foil and recently graduated to butcher's paper. I'll never wrap in foil again. You get a better bark when using paper. Just for kicks, I'll smoke a few baby backs without wrapping them. Will post pics.

I wound up not wrapping the ribs. I had to transport them to the party and I was afraid that I was going to turn them to mush if I had wrapped them during the cook for 2 hours, and wrapped them again (and put them in a coolder) to transport to the venue. They wound up being a hit, so a successful cook. Thanks for the advice, I'll try wrapping if I'm eating here at the house. Now the load-pan chickens I cooked weren't as successful, too much meat and not enough BTU's. I think I found the limit of a UDS....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky