Cooking on a UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markb

Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Hi all, first post.

I am building my first UDS, almost done. It's basic plus a Weber lid. I will post pics when done.

My question, is there a section in the forum on cooking with the UDS, or is this the place for those questions. What I am wondering is cooking directly over the coals, do I need to flip the meat, how often, etc.

I have been smoking on a Weber kettle with the coals on one side and meat on the other. The UDS will be a new experience for me.

Anyway, this is a great forum, thanks for all the info.

Mark

Mark, Welcome to SMF!!!

I don't have a uds so i really can't be of much help.

Try asking around to some of the folks that post about uds smoking.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Mark to SMF. I don't have a uds either but I am part of the welcoming committee I guess. Now you will find out that a uds is really easy to smoke on but there's alot of folks here that will tell you just how easy.  You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

I do not flip meat when cooking with my UDS. Do you have 24" of separation between your bottom cooking grate and the bottom of the charcoal basket?

There's a build section but not a cooking section. Basically just reading here and learning from the UDS users is what most folks do. I dont flip my meat at all, I also use a pan with water. The reason I use a pan is to keep my drum clean and to keep from sour smoke.I dont like the smell of fat burning, but that's just my way of doing things. There's a ton of ways to build them and use them and there all good, just need to find what works for you. Hope this helps.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I do not flip meat when cooking with my UDS. Do you have 24" of separation between your bottom cooking grate and the bottom of the charcoal basket?
My charcoal basket w/ash pan is 5" off the bottom, I could lower it to 3".  Air vents at 2". I have 2 rack positions, 19" and 26" above the bottom of the basket as it is now. I have a weber kettle lid. Should I plan on using a water pan like Burnt Coyote?

Opinions welcome.

Mark

No need to flip. When you get your temp stable in the drum, you want to add the meat as soon as possible. I usually have the rack out and I will load it up and make a space for my thermometer block (which is handy and ready to go). I open my lid, get the rack and thermo in, adjust the wire into my groove and shut the lid immediately. When the drum gets that big gulp of air, it's gonna want to heat up right away. Be sure to close your intakes whenever you open the lid to limit the amount of draft. Bottom line is avoiding the urge or need to open the lid, drums are better left alone if you want a steady temp... happy drumming!

Did a cut up chicken and a bunch of wings on Friday. Used the upper rack and mid 300s for temp. May have cooked a little long but the skin was crispy and good smoke flavor. I had a major problem early, it was dark, the rack was not on the pegs right, the whole thing flipped and dumped all the chicken into the fire. I had to scramble, pulled everything out, wash the chicken, re-season and and start again.

Doing baby backs today.

Mark

I had a major problem early, it was dark, the rack was not on the pegs right, the whole thing flipped and dumped all the chicken into the fire. I had to scramble, pulled everything out, wash the chicken, re-season and and start again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky