Cooking in advance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swalker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
NW Arkansas
Hi All,

I would like some tips on preparing something in the smoker to use at a later date. What are your thoughts on smoking something like pulled pork or maybe a brisket or a meat loaf and then freezing it for later. Surely someone has done this. I would like to prepare something this weekend and then be able to freeze it and then warm it back up the following next weekend for consumption. Any tips, tricks or advice will be greatly appreciated. I am going to a motorcycle rally in two weeks. It would be nice to smoke something this coming weekend that I can freeze or refridgerate for a week and then thaw out and warm up for us the next weekend. Everyone at this event brings some kind of dish for us all to eat...So I am hoping I can come up with something in advance.
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Steve

i can say i know a little about this, i do it all the time. what i did was went to sams club and got the vacuum sealer, it was around 120 or so. then, as an example when i make pork loin, i slice them and put two or three pieces, vacuum it up and freeze it. it lasts for a long time, i have gone back after 6 months and it was fine. i think that is the safest thing to do, i have yet to be sick off of it.

im sure you can get some butcher paper and wrap it good and do it that way.

when i reheat it i only put it in the microwave for 2 min and it turns out perfect. i dont poke any holes in the plastic i just leave it sealed to almost steam it.

Steve,
I have smoked pork butt and pulled the next day. I see no reason why you couldn't freeze it for later use. Buzzard is right about the vacuum sealer it helps food last a long time in the freezer.

Thanks Bill, Yes I agree Buzzard has the right idea for long term storage. I am wanting to make some pulled pork, freeze it for about a week and then eat it the next weekend. I too think I should be able to do that, then just heat it up and not loose too much flavor. I am going to give it a try anyway.
Thanks again, Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky