• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

cooking grate vs jerky tray

steves8860

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 17, 2021
I have room in my electric smoker for another grate. As I looked I found I could get the same size as a jerky tray. I have to buy 3 cooking grates but can by 2 jerky trays for less.

Is a jerky tray as durable as a cooking grate?

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Jerky trays are usually not as beefy as regular grates. They have a finer, closer weave for thin strips of meat. They don't need to have a larger wire because they are serving a different function. So, no. They are not as durable as regular grates.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
I have switched to hanging my jerky strips from a skewer instead of using trays. I get more even and quicker drying. In my Smokin-It #3, it used to take 4 racks for 5# of meat, using skewers, I can get almost 7# on 1 rack by hanging
That is sweet, you have way more patients than I do.:emoji_laughing::emoji_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.