Cooking for a wedding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lspilot82

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Lakeland Florida
My sister asked me to cook for her wedding reception friday, and I told her no problem. She said that I can make whatever I'd like, so we are doing pulled pork and chicken, along with 3 or 4 sides. Only issue I see is my smoker is small. So I'm going to have to do everything starting today. Question is, how much pork and chicken do I need for 100 people. From reading, I think 65-70 pounds of raw butt should yield me 35-40 pounds of cooked PP. How many pieces of chicken do I need? I'm just going to be doing legs and thighs. Maybe 50-75 pieces? Also, whats the best way to reheat the chicken? Its a lot to take on, and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty scared. Lol. I don't want to mess up my little sisters wedding with bad food. Help me guys.

Well when you are doing multiple meats it gets kinda tricky. You also have to take into consideration kids and people will smaller eating habits.

Also you have to consider if you want alot of leftovers or not.

If it was me I would do 50-55lbs of raw pulled pork to get about 25-30 lbs of cooked. This will server 100-120 1/4lb servings. On the chicken I would do the thin cut chicken breast. I would brine over night and smoke of hit them on the grill to cook up. Grilling will be a good option that way if anyone that isn't fancy on smoked items have a choice. I would do about 15-20lbs of these which will give you about 75-100 pieces. Also reheating the breast pieces will be easy in a pan covered with foil and some liquid in it. If you reheat skin on chicken you will most likely have rubbery skin.

Take in mind all of the numbers im giving will leave you leftovers. If you want to lean it out some you can and will still have plenty as when you have multiple meats at a wedding people tend to take smaller portions. Also if you do rolls for the pulled pork if you use the smaller Hawaiian rolls It will encourage smaller portions.

I hope that helps out. Also I have a catering speadsheet that I got from someone a long time ago that if you want you can pm me your email address and ill send it to you.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky