Cooking bags

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

airman3

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Has anyone ever used cooking bags on their smoker?  If so what do you like or dislike about using them?

As John has said a cooking bag would defeat all the pluses of smoking the meat.  You wouldn't have any smokey flavor.....

if using a bag is what you want to do... take your food inside and put it in the oven... 
head-wall.gif

If you're referring to using one of the roasting bags to wrap something like a butt or a brisket for the "foiling" phase, I think it would work very well. In fact, I feel kind of silly for having never thought of it, and I've never seen any reference to it. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work very well. It would hold liquid, hold steam and even provide a slight increase in pressure if you sealed it well. You may have just had the next BIG IDEA.

Good job.

If you're referring to using one of the roasting bags to wrap something like a butt or a brisket for the "foiling" phase, I think it would work very well. In fact, I feel kind of silly for having never thought of it, and I've never seen any reference to it. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work very well. It would hold liquid, hold steam and even provide a slight increase in pressure if you sealed it well. You may have just had the next BIG IDEA.

Good job.
Great thought Mdboatbum...I thought he wanted to place the meat in the bag at the beginning of the smoke.

Kudos...I like your idea!

John

Funny how everybody thinks a little differently. I'm new to smoking and always try to keep things clean as possible. I've always used the oven bag trick instead of foiling because it's fast and easy and a hell of a lot cheaper than heavy duty foil. My stuff is good so far....I think.

Good job.
NO DOUBT!  Ribs this weekend, believe I have to try that instead of foil.  The temps for smoking are less than the Thanksgiving oven so that should be fine.  Would definitely make for easy clean up, now if those Q-mats would just get here I can play with new toys over the weekend!  
sausage.gif

I as wondering at first if this was another wrap in butcher paper kind of thing.

I saw something a while back on the tube where they would just rub the inside of a large grocery store paper bag with butter/oil then add the meat AND the foiling liquid and return to the pit. I was impressed when it didn't burn up and worked just like foil.

I was just reading last night about all the things that can be done with parchment paper in the heat because it is basically silicone coated.  That's what's cool about forums like this, many minds find discoveries much faster.  

I was just reading last night about all the things that can be done with parchment paper in the heat because it is basically silicone coated.  That's what's cool about forums like this, many minds find discoveries much faster.  
Its just we want to show the neighbors we can "One up" them....LOL

Well I foil mine!

I use a parchment paper

Well I have used butchers wrapping paper too

That's ok, I did mine once in a brown paper bag

So, I used a clean airline airsick bag

I used an old used plastic lunch bag

But I used a hair net!

Its all about enjoying the smoke.

Good job.

Well , the OP hasn't chimed back in that that's what he meant , ( if I was him I'd say. Oh yeah , that's the ticket). But I think you are right it might be a great way to " foil" ....but if you seal it real tight , MD , mightn't it explode?

Its just we want to show the neighbors we can "One up" them....LOL

Well I foil mine!
I use a parchment paper
Well I have used butchers wrapping paper too
That's ok, I did mine once in a brown paper bag
So, I used a clean airline airsick bag
I used an old used plastic lunch bag
But I used a hair net!

Its all about enjoying the smoke.

Funny stuff , foam. You is a card.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky