Cooking 3 butts in a WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beavis69

Original poster
Oct 5, 2018
I need to cook 3 8lb butts in a 18in WSM.

Roughly how much additional time would I need compared with 1 butt?

Normally cook at 275f and about an 45 mins / hour a pound.

thanks

I just checked my notes and I did the exact smoke you are talking about. Three 8lb butts on an 18" WSM.

My time was the same as smoking one butt, but did burn through fuel faster to keep the temps up with more meat in the smoker. You will probably need to add more fuel somewhere between hours 9-10 running at 275. Keep an eye on your pit temps and fuel level and you should be good.

I need to cook 3 8lb butts in a 18in WSM.

Roughly how much additional time would I need compared with 1 butt?

Normally cook at 275f and about an 45 mins / hour a pound.

thanks
Time is going to be the same on 1 vs 3. I routinely cook 8 butts or more and it takes me the same time to cook 1.

What is your average cook time and at what temp do you run your smoker?

I usually run at 275-300 and budget 12 hours for an 8lb butt. Usually done in under 12 at that temp, but not by a ton.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky