Cook times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin ed

Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Hey folks, new here looking for advice. I've been smoking on four weber smokey mountain bullets for the last couple years. The main problem i have is that I always try to stay around 230 but my brisket seems to get to temp too quick and my pork butts seem to take longer than i would expect. Thanks

Reactions: wbf610
Welcome to the site, lots of guys cook on that cooker on here. Im sure they will have some advice for you once the see your post.

A 12 lb, trimmed packer brisket will finish in about 70-75% of the time of a 9 lb untrimmed, bone-in pork butt if smoked at the same temp. I've done too many of each to count in my WSM, but no two smokes are the same. I've never done two packers at the same time, but I've done multiple butts. The additional butts add time.

Just before Christmas, I smoked two bone-in pork butts. One weighed 9.75 lbs and the other 9.72 lbs. I smoked them both on the top rack of my 22.5" WSM with a pan on the lower rack to catch the drippings. The larger one was probe tender in 15 hours, the minutely smaller one took 18 hours to get tender. Temp was 225-230F overnight for 14 hours, then cranked up to 270F in the morning. Go figure.

My last bone in pork butt was 8.5 and took a little over 12 hours. Today i did a 13lb. packer and about 4 hours i was 170 internal. I wrapped in pink butcher paper, in another 2 hours was 205 internal.

Hey folks, new here looking for advice. I've been smoking on four weber smokey mountain bullets for the last couple years. The main problem i have is that I always try to stay around 230 but my brisket seems to get to temp too quick and my pork butts seem to take longer than i would expect. Thanks
If the brisket turns out well, i dont see what the problem is. I’d love for my briskets to get done quicker!!!

Are you doing them together, trying to get them done at the same time?

If this is consistently happening, just asjust your timing/planning.

Think i may have found the culprit. I've just been relying on the analog temp gauge on the top of my smoker. I purchased a digital one and at 230 on the analog i am getting 310 on the digital.

Welcome It seems you found the problem most of the temp gauges on the smoker unit are not accurate. You should find a big difference now with your temperature control.

Warren

Think i may have found the culprit. I've just been relying on the analog temp gauge on the top of my smoker. I purchased a digital one and at 230 on the analog i am getting 310 on the digital.

That's not to far off. :emoji_laughing:
Happy you figured it out.
Chris

Now i only need to purchase three more of them. The one i bought is the therm pro tp-08. From experience, is that an ok one or should i look at different brands or models?

The one i bought is the therm pro tp-08. From experience, is that an ok one or should i look at different brands or models?
I have a TP-08 that I bought to use with my WSM . Single meat probe and cook chamber temp . I like mine . I have others that are multi probe for doing more than one meat temp .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky