Converting small metal patio shed into smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jritt74

Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Industry, Il
I have a roughly 46 cubic ft metal shed that I’m going to turn into a smokehouse. I highly doubt it will ever be used for a hot smoker seeing as it would probably require a lot more work to get it able to hold those temps. My biggest question is in the source of the smoke. I could buy a commercially made smoke generator that would cost just south of $200. I could also buy a small outdoor wood stove from sportsman’s guide for about $100 and have several more uses for that. How far away would the smoker have to be from the firebox to get the desired “cold smoke”? Anyone have any concerns or advice with this project before I get into it? Thanks in advance

Car rim or steel ring filled with sawdust. Will be a slow burn and plenty of smoke. Place it in the center
20190216_181811.jpg
20190216_181759.jpg

This is my buddies smokehouse. It's an old one from late 1800s and wood but it's probably 75sq ft

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I wasn’t sure if one of the tubes would be enough for that size space or not.
Mabye I’m not picturing it correctly but the fridge that googled are a commercial two door which I have used a tube in and was plenty of smoke for cheese, summer sausage,etc. I get about 4hrs off a 12” tube worst for around $20 a piece get two for still under a president grant and have something vesitale

Mabye I’m not picturing it correctly but the fridge that googled are a commercial two door which I have used a tube in and was plenty of smoke for cheese, summer sausage,etc. I get about 4hrs off a 12” tube worst for around $20 a piece get two for still under a president grant and have something vesitale
My metal shed is 2 1/2’x 3 1/2’x 5’10” with plenty of gaps where the corrugated metal doesn’t touch the metal supports. I just wasn’t sure if those tubes would produce enough smoke to overcome the holes. I suppose I could go that route and seal it up as I go if it doesn’t retain enough of the smoke. Thanks for your input.

My metal shed is 2 1/2’x 3 1/2’x 5’10” with plenty of gaps where the corrugated metal doesn’t touch the metal supports. I just wasn’t sure if those tubes would produce enough smoke to overcome the holes. I suppose I could go that route and seal it up as I go if it doesn’t retain enough of the smoke. Thanks for your input.
Sorry I misread your original post for square feet. My idea may be a bit much for your space. You could probably get away with trays or tubes......or a mixing bowl with hole drilled in it full of dust

A #10 soup or sauce can with a few holes drilled in the bottom and sides and a piece of steel or and old pot or pan lid to cover the top.
Place 1 to 5 lit charcoal briquettes in the bottom and fill with as much dust and chips as needed. Or you could toss an old soldering iron into it for the heat source.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky