Converting propane smoker to dual fuel (charcoal)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
Not sure the propane subforum is the right place for this. Maybe I should cross post to the charcoal subforurm?

I have a Masterbuilt 40" two door propane smoker, and noticed that my Weber GoAnywhere portable charcoal grill, without feet and lid, fit perfectly into the lower cabinet. That had me thinking, it's easy enough to put a cover over the bottom hole where the burner sits to create a reasonably good airtight seal. Then drill a few holes into the lower cabinet door for my Auber temperature controller to control air flow, and now I can use charcoal to smoke meat in my propane smoker. I would also put something on the lowest rack to act as a heat sink and diffuser, maybe a big iron pizza pan.

Anyone try something like that before? All the searches I've done so far for "charcoal conversion" is people going from charcoal to propane, not propane to charcoal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky