Controlling the Heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chaser

Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I am planning on building a UDS. my primary purpose is to smoke sausage. Does anyone know how well the heat control on a UDS is will I be able to make summer sausage

You can control the heat very well, but the temperature varies too much in the UDS from top to bottom and from center to edge to maintain a constant even temperature surrounding the sausage. It can vary up to 100* in mine. I don't think the UDS is the best option for a primary sausage smoker. Also the closest grate should be 24" from the bottom of the charcoal grate, if you hang sausage in there it would be much closer and possibly dry out or even burn your casings. I would suggest looking into a fridge/freezer conversion or a GOSM for makin sausage. You are looking for a smoker that can smoke at medium temperatures, the UDS is primarily for hot smokes.

I'm with the coffee dude a UDS I don't thing you want to use it strickly for sausage mainly because you want have to change the temp alot. I mean the first hour is at about 100 then you move it to 110* and then onward to finish at a 170 after about 5-6 hours and you would have to get into the smoker so many times that I think a UDS won't be a good idea. Thats my pennies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky