controller replacement MES30 20070910

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lawson23

Original poster
May 9, 2021
so... My controller after about 5 years of occasional smoking is finally in the fritz as discussed by a lot of others here.

Here is where I thought, ok time to do as all do and get an auber but... HOLY cow the cost is high. I only spent $90 on the unit. So I'm having troubles dropping $170 on a controller. Also not to mention I may end in a situation where I can't even use the thing come end of next year.

In process of potentially moving out of the country. I will probably do 3 to 6 smokes between now and then so this is driving me to a cheap solution.

On Amazon they have what looks like the direct replacement for $20 and masterbuilt is $29.99. I would be willing to spend up to $80 for a decent solution as nothing is set in stone and I could be here longer in the end.

Just looking for some help on direction...

Thanks everyone for all your help. I did in the past have to buy a new safety switch and replace some of the wiring in the back as it burnt up.

Last edited:
The Auber ws-1510 elpm is defaulted to 60hz and can be switched to 50hz 240vac overseas. I believe there is nothing to switch from 120 vac to 240 vac because the PID and solid state relay handle those voltages but you switch the cycles from 60 to 50hz. Go to auberins.com and download the manual. I read it before buying four years ago. This controller has a 15 amp quick blow fuse to protect it and is worth every penny. Get a back up element and a box and door for cheap or free on FB Marketplace etc once you have a high end controller.

so... My controller after about 5 years of occasional smoking is finally in the fritz as discussed by a lot of others here.

Here is where I thought ok time to do as all do and get and auber but... HOLY cow the cost is expensive. I only spent $90 on the unit. So having troubles dropping $170 on a controller. Also not to mention I may end not being in a situation where I can even use the thing come end of next year.

In process of potentially moving out of the country. I will probably do 3 to 6 smokes between now and then so this is driving me to a cheap solution.

On Amazon they have what looks like the direct replacement for $20 and masterbuilt is $29.99. I would be willing to spend up to $80 for a decent solution as nothing is set in stone and I could be here longer in the end.

Just looking for some help on direction...

Thanks everyone for all your help. I did in the past have to buy a new safety switch and replace some of the wiring in the back as it burnt up.

Well you could turn it analog doing the simple rewire or running a plug directly to the heating element.

Then cannibalize a 12AWG cord wiring it to a voltage controller type device like this:
61ZP+zHZA-L._SX425_.jpg

I've never done this but some guys reporting doing this. It doesn't measure temperature it just allows you to dial voltage up or down so I'm guessing the guys that have used them just find a happy spot that it hits and holds temp within the smoker.

Something like this has a thermostat with it:
71WZjP1aYuS._AC_SX425_.jpg

In either case you still have to do wiring and will want to assemble these cheapo controllers it into a project box/enclosure or on the smoker or some other way.

Both components are under $15 but more parts needed to make a whole controller (enclosure, relief glands, 12AWG extension cord to cannibalize, drill bit to drill holes beg enough to hold cables in the enclosure box, etc.)

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: mosparky
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky