Continuing The Dino Rib Trend: Dinner For Friends (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This meal was actually planned before the recent trend hit the forum but it just took a while to come to fruition. Finally the stars aligned and we made it happen. I got this order of Dino ribs (aka beef chuck short ribs) just before I finished up building the cabinet smoker and planned for this to be the first real get-together and BBQ session with a few friends. Kept the crowd small with a total of 6 people but some of our best friends.

The ribs. These 2 racks, 8 ribs total, weighed in at just over 10 pounds. That's an average of just over 1 1/4 pound per rib. These things are pretty big :emoji_wink:
View attachment 630916

Seasoned up with Sazon Goya, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
View attachment 630917

Got the smoker dialed in at 250 and it stayed within 2 degrees either way all day.
View attachment 630918

Ribs on at 8:00 Saturday morning. I'm anticipating about an 8 hour cook
View attachment 630919

Yes ladies and gentlemen, this is what we live for
View attachment 630920

At the 3 hour mark. They are already starting to draw up and get thick. Some enormous ribs!! (2 pics)
View attachment 630921
View attachment 630922

Made a batch of 4-cheese bacon and jalapeno mac & cheese
View attachment 630923

At the 6 hour mark. Starting to get some really nice pull back (2 pics)
View attachment 630924
View attachment 630925

Time to put the mac & cheese on
View attachment 630926

Smoked the mac & cheese for an hour and a half. Brought it in the house, mixed it up real good, topped with more cheese sauce, more mozz, and more bacon. Cover with foil then back onto the smoker
View attachment 630927

Appetizers. Rick and Susan brought some veggies, dip, and a Mexican bean dip with chips. I put together a platter with some Amish mustard eggs, pickled sausage, smoked cheeses, and crackers.
View attachment 630928

My guess for timing was right on. 8 hours and they probe nice and tender so into the house to get happy for a few minutes. I am thrilled with the way these look and the aroma is amazing!!
View attachment 630929

Slice these babies up. They are like beef cotton candy. So tender and juicy
View attachment 630930

Close up
View attachment 630931

Mac & cheese all done
View attachment 630932

The whole spread. Matthew and Jonathan brought some slaw and I put together a batch of beans. Not a whole lot of offerings but this was plenty.
View attachment 630933

I'm always last through the chow line. Finally got my plate put together, walked out to the patio, and it appears as though folks are enjoying the meal
View attachment 630934

Finally and alas....my plate
View attachment 630935

Needless to say, I am loving this smoker. Could not have been a better meal. Weather was gorgeous, good friends, and the food was outstanding across the board. Was a long wait cooking these ribs but well worth it. The Sazon Goya I used as the base seasoning was fantastic!! It penetrated well into the meat to add a nice subtle spiciness and the other seasonings created a bark that was off the charts. As has been the norm with me recently, nothing fancy but this was just good backyard Texas BBQ. Simple offerings prepared correctly and we were in heaven. Maybe it had just been a while since cooking these but the general consensus across the board was that this was my best effort to date. Another one that was as easy as it gets: no mopping, no baste, no sauce, no wrap, just seasoning and let them go.

Another one that's gone on long enough but a couple of you said to blow it up in here so I did :emoji_laughing: Take care and we'll be seeing you again shortly...especially if tonight's dinner comes out as planned :emoji_wink:

Robert
bravo..... diggin the trend. got some waiting in the freeze for the right event.

The entire meal looks great! Those ribs, oh my dang. Going on my to do list for sure. Thank you for sharing. The Sazon Goya you used, which one was it? I see several different flavors on their site. I'm interested in trying it.

Thanks so much my friend. I'm not sure what you're referencing about "continuing the demolition" (blowing up the forum perhaps??) but being that you've never made a negative comment I can only guess it is intended in a positive way so I'll take it as a compliment :emoji_wink:
😛Definately a compliment! In my line of work demolition = Blowing up and is a good thing!!!

Man I have to try some of those. Curious though I can’t tell from the pic. Why so many handles on the door of the smoker?

Well Robert, my friend, those look absolutely spectacular. Actually, it all looks spectacular. You done good, real good. Getting your close friends together for this is so special and I'm sure much appreciated. Very nice work, buddy...
Thanks so much Charles. There was another couple we invited but they had plans. As much as we like them, I was not postponing this cook again. Already did it twice :emoji_wink:
Oh wow Robert! Those ribs are over the top good looking! Bravo!
Thank you Steve. I've come to the conclusion that the Dino ribs are super easy to cook and very forgiving...as long as they are not under cooked.
Another super meal Robert! Those Dino ribs and the rest of the meal look killer!
Very much appreciate it Cliff. Was a really good meal, that's for sure.

Robert

Nicely done!
Appreciate it Jim. It all came out well.
I think you got your smoker dialed in Robert. Everything looks great and i bet your friends enjoyed it immensely.
This thing is a dream to cook on and it only took a few minutes to figure it out. It has taken over for the T-Pit which appears to now be sold.
Oh and since it’s currently snowing outside at our place, I have to say I’m a little bit jelly of the outside eats and short sleeves!!
UGH!! That's horrible. Snow in May? I could never live in a climate like that again. I do thank you for the kind words regarding the meal though.

Robert

Hell Yeah, Yum!
Thank you my friend!! Remember though, you're the one who got me started with the "brisket on a stick" and you've created a monster :emoji_laughing:
Looks great....and keep the smoke rolling.
Real nice spread and good friends
Thanks so much David. Some of the folks in attendance we've been friends with for about 20 years. They are some fine people for sure.
I am drooling all over myself. That mac and cheese looks freakin good.
Careful now Brian. don't electrocute yourself :emoji_astonished: This was only the 2nd time I've done mac & cheese from the ground up but it was REALLY good.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow! Those are some fantastic looking beef ribs! You nailed those with the new smoker and I’m sure nobody went home hungry. Great food, great friends, great time.
Very much appreciate the kind words Joe. Amazing how easy these ribs are to cook and have them come out world class. These were the best yet.
Outstanding beef rib cook Robert. Hell of a nice job bud
Thanks Jake!! I still don't think they stand up to these :emoji_laughing: That sir is an image I'll never forget!!
024.jpg

bravo..... diggin the trend. got some waiting in the freeze for the right event.
Time to get some smoke rolling I guess :emoji_wink: BBQ is always good but something about some goodQ to get the Summer started out is just plain fun.

Robert

Just love those beefy ribs Robert! Glad you got to smoke them and enjoy them with your good friends! Great times for sure!

Ryan

The entire meal looks great! Those ribs, oh my dang. Going on my to do list for sure. Thank you for sharing. The Sazon Goya you used, which one was it? I see several different flavors on their site. I'm interested in trying it.
Thanks so much for the kind words. I was at a loss when Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) turned me on to the stuff with his creamy tomato soup so I asked him and this is what he said he used:
019.jpg

Looks great. Wish I could find good Dino ribs around here.
Thank you. They are readily available to me but I have to buy 50 pounds at a time. We can chat if you'd like :emoji_wink:
😛Definately a compliment! In my line of work demolition = Blowing up and is a good thing!!!
I figured as much coming from a career soldier :emoji_laughing: The concept of explosives and blowing things up is just in your blood.

Robert

• Love
Reactions: bauchjw
Man I have to try some of those. Curious though I can’t tell from the pic. Why so many handles on the door of the smoker?
The huge beef ribs are the bomb!! As for the handles, the ones on top and bottom of the cook chamber door are for the latches. The one in the middle is the handle to open and close the door with. I put stay-cool handles on everything. Last smoker I built I didn't do that and got tired of burning my hands whenever I touched it.
Stellar looking ribs for sure!
Thanks so much Dave. I was very happy with the way they looked when I pulled them to take into the house.
Just love those beefy ribs Robert! Glad you got to smoke them and enjoy them with your good friends! Great times for sure!
Very much appreciate it my friend. You should have taken some of those on your outing. I'm sure Lewis and Clark would have loved some good ribs :emoji_wink:

Robert

Another one I thought I left a comment on . Great looking meal . I'm another one that wish I could find the ribs here . Those look perfect .

Another one I thought I left a comment on . Great looking meal . I'm another one that wish I could find the ribs here . Those look perfect .
Thanks so much Rich. I still find it somewhat odd that certain cuts are very regional. That's one great thing about this forum though. Folks are willing to share with others what they may not be able to get (hint hint)
Looks eatable to me Robert
Very much appreciate it Warren. It was eatable for sure...as well as being edible :emoji_laughing: We had a really good time with this meal.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky