Continuing Spam issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wade

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 12, 2013
Kent, UK
Unfortunately after a very brief respite, today the Spam is back to as bad as it was before the recent changes. It is 11:25 am here and there are already 16 pages of spam in the "New Posts". As 16 pages is the maximum number of pages displayed under "New Posts" it is making it impossible for us to use the forum until someone in the US clears them out.

This is not a complaint that anyone is not doing what they are supposed to be doing, simply letting you know that the problem has unfortunately not been fixed.

I feel that until they get more people helping it will continue. More mods would seem to be a logical answer.

Can someone not look at the server logs and see the IP range the spammer is using to post from?  Should be easy to block the IP (hopefully it's static), and if it's not static, it's probably from the same provider and will be in a narrow range.  Most forum packages have the ability to block IP's or IP ranges.

Can someone not look at the server logs and see the IP range the spammer is using to post from?  Should be easy to block the IP (hopefully it's static), and if it's not static, it's probably from the same provider and will be in a narrow range.  Most forum packages have the ability to block IP's or IP ranges.
Unfortunately that method can be too much of a sledgehammer approach. These guys often don't send the spam from their local region. Our company site got added to the spam block list on commercial filters for a while as one of these spammers just happened to be using the the services of our Internet hosting company without them realising.

I'm thinking..... originally the staff thought these spammers were the JV team..... they would go away in due time......

Well, where did that get ya !!!!!!

...EDIT ... Staff = those on the payroll...

Last edited:

Unfortunately after a very brief respite, today the Spam is back to as bad as it was before the recent changes. It is 11:25 am here and there are already 16 pages of spam in the "New Posts". As 16 pages is the maximum number of pages displayed under "New Posts" it is making it impossible for us to use the forum until someone in the US clears them out.

This is not a complaint that anyone is not doing what they are supposed to be doing, simply letting you know that the problem has unfortunately not been fixed.
As I type this the spam continues. I feel that I need to clear something up from the locked thread, regarding this topic. Yes, I was very frustrated (I can't do anything about it) that day do to these spam attacks but, in no way was I saying SMF staff aren't doing their best to deal with this problem. If there's just only one staff member logged on, the spam attack is dealt with and everything goes back to normal. However, if ... 

Last edited:
Can't help notice that some people are actually opening them threads,when you open one it sends back a cookie,then they just keeping spamming.To all SMF Please stop opening the post.IMHO it will cause them to stop.

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky