Consistently

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Antigo Wisconsin
Is there anything I'm missing in getting a more consistent smoke I know air and draft are my main problems..any mods I can do..I dehydrated some pellets I will try that.. seems like a fan is needed in front of the mailbox or inlet on the smoker

Last edited:
A mes 30 gen 2.5 hybrid.. what works one day might not work the next day even with the mailbox mod and tubes I can eventually get it going.. I'm thinking a fan will be needed

Last edited:
I don't have that particular smoker but i have noticed the same issue with my smoke hollow. I believe my problem stems from wind direction! I have it set on a patio pavilion and when the wind or breeze is blowing on the front i get great smoke production. The amazn tray will burn for 7 or 8 hours as designed. Breeze from the back and it will go out as it tries to make the turn!
I'm going to try a small fan blowing at the front of the unit and see what happens!!

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
Assuming you have holes or something in the mailbox for air intake, what diameter piping are you using and how far? If the pipe is too long and too horizontal it's hard for the pellets to get enough draft to burn.

Hit it hard when lighting it. I don't do anything special but I blast it 3 good times and leave outside for 10m or so. Chip tray is out right?

Does anyone think the popcorn tin mod would be any different... I'm going to try a fan tonight just blowing into the chip tube hole with tube inside the smoker

Last edited:
You're saying a fan works. But you said earlier that the muffin fan attached to the front of the mailbox didn't work like I have set up on mine.

Yes takes a big fan my little fan didn't work inside the mailbox or outside...the duct fan also didn't work I'll try to post a picture tonight even with the big fan the tray is stubborn

I can usually get the tubes to work in the mailbox and the smoker..the tray it seems like each day is different even with this fan...6"tube is going now with dust in the smoker going on an hour dump tube out about 2" 6mph wind

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_163538503.jpg
    IMG_20200331_163538503.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 12
I will probably just settle on the tubes for now and use dust and pellets to adjust my amount of smoke for the job on hand I appreciate all the help!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky