Considering upgrade from MES 30 to Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
I want to start considering an upgrade from my MES 30 as going into year 7. My goals are more surface area for cooks, higher temps for chicken/duck, and fewer battles with amazen trays/tubes going out or too much airflow. Focusing on pellet grills for now. TBD if will be an apartment that may have restrictions and/or need a smaller footprint.

What are the known shortfalls of pellet grills? I know I should not expect a sear level like a gas grill and sear grates can help if needed.

I read people say it smokes less. As I am used to using amazen trays and tubes, am I already used to less smoke and have the tools to generate more smoke if needed.

I have not done cold smokes so not too concerned here.

I want to ensure I am thinking of everything before going deeper into research. Thank you in advance.

I'm along for this ride also...since I seem to think I should have one also... want or need, I don't care which lol!

Ryan

Reactions: bigfurmn
I love my rec teq RT700. Look at their lineup. I don’t use it to sear tho, i keep my gasser and glad I did, sometimes you just need a straight up grill. I ve made just about everything I can think of on the rec teq with great success. Very stable temps in all weather, no issues at all after well over 3-4 years now.

Oh yes, highly recommend using lumberjack pellets. I tried a few others and they didn’t measure up at all. I use the comp blend for everything.

I love my rec teq RT700. Look at their lineup. I don’t use it to sear tho, i keep my gasser and glad I did, sometimes you just need a straight up grill. I ve made just about everything I can think of on the rec teq with great success. Very stable temps in all weather, no issues at all after well over 3-4 years now.

Oh yes, highly recommend using lumberjack pellets. I tried a few others and they didn’t measure up at all. I use the comp blend for everything.
I am in northern Ohio so the Grilla insulation does have me intrigued. At the same time, I havent seen people say the recteq could not keep a temp so far. Are you located in a snowy area?

Coming from the MES, I have had many battles on keeping the smoke tray smoldering. Does it matter where you place the tray within the 590?
I have had no issues with either the tray or the tubes. I fill the tray evenly so the pellets touch but not over over the dividers. Use a torch and let it burn a good 5 minutes before blowing it out.

I am in northern Ohio so the Grilla insulation does have me intrigued. At the same time, I havent seen people say the recteq could not keep a temp so far. Are you located in a snowy area?
Salt Lake City at about 5K feet. Snow and cold all winter here. they used to sell a cold weather cover/blanket but stopped because they didn’t think they were necessary. Obviously the warm is slightly longer when its 20 out vs 90 but cooks just fine in all weather.

I am starting to lean smaller (chimp or smallest recteq) as it fits my needs better. Heading to costco today to measure packers sizes and will call both companies next week with some questions.

Put my MS 30 buy the curb and bought a Yoder 480YS. A bit of a learning curve but not too bad. As stated above, if you want extra smoke you may have to use an amazin' tube.

I still have my MES40 and a Pit Boss pellet. Pellet gets most of the work. Flavor is good for me with more space. I am happy I upgraded.

I don't think of it as a upgrade, rather another method, you wont ever do the same stuff on a pellet as you can on a electric when it comes to making sausages imo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky